Coronavirus: Canning Town chef takes on BHRUT healthcare role during pandemic
- Credit: Mariauxy Pedrero Rosario
A furloughed chef has swapped cooking for caring for patients on the coronavirus frontline as a Barking, Havering and Redbridge University Hospitals NHS Trust volunteer.
Mariauxy Pedrero Rosario usually works shifts in a busy restaurant in central London, but when it closed due to the coronavirus outbreak, she was determined that she wasn’t going to sit at home in Canning Town.
The 31-year-old, who is originally from Venezuela, said: “My first day as a healthcare assistant was really good, the patients were so fascinated to hear I usually work as a chef. Some of them were very interested to hear my cooking tips.
“I wasn’t expecting the day to go so quickly but because you are so busy the time flies by.
“When I got home I was so excited to share with my family how my day was. My mum, dad and sister are doctors back home. You could say that caring for people is in my genes.
You may also want to watch:
“I am really pleased I have got this job because I love helping others.”
As well as Mariauxy, lots of other healthcare assistants have joined the Barking, Havering and Redbridge University Trust recently, including Kate Baker, a former patient and volunteer, and Chris Gammons, who joined after an airline career.
If you’d like to join the trust, find out more here.
- 1 Deadline looming to comment on Market Place development plans
- 2 Man and two boys charged with murder of Daniel Laskos in Harold Wood
- 3 Serial child sex offender jailed after found with 14,000 indecent images
- 4 Romford man gains 100,000 signatures to scrap £200m Prince Philip yacht
- 5 Heritage: Is it Romford or Rumford? You decide
- 6 Why Romford MP is allowed to keep names of donors secret
- 7 Havering electoral wards face axe as borough is split into 20 areas
- 8 'No one deserves that': Neighbours 'traumatised' by triple stabbing
- 9 'I've never felt so excited' - Theatre company saved from collapse
- 10 One teenager dead in Harold Wood triple stabbing