Travellers move to Queen’s Hospital, Romford
- Credit: Archant
Travellers have moved onto land at Queen’s Hospital, Romford, just days after a group was evicted from Westlands Playing Fields.
Hospital managers Barking, Havering and Redbridge University Hospitals NHS Trust (BHRUT) confirmed that caravans moved into Oldchurch Park which surrounds the Rom Valley site yesterday.
The director of estates and facilities for BHRUT, Jackie Nugent, said the trust is working with the council and police to ensure the travellers are moved on “as quickly as possible”.
She added: “We have put in place additional security measures onto our site to discourage any further vehicles. I would like to reassure our local residents that we are doing everything possible.”
The caravans have been pitched near the children’s play park and have gained access by driving along a narrow footpath that lies between the hospital and Queen’s Day Nursery, according to a neighbour.
The father, who did not wish to be named, said: “I was pushing my 16-month-old daughter in her pram this morning when one of them came driving towards me.”
He said that he had to move up onto the embankment to avoid the car.
- 1 Farming family to be evicted from Upminster land they worked for a century
- 2 ‘If it’s happening, it’s a concern’: Hornchurch's surprise at claims Havering is at risk of far-right activity
- 3 'Everybody wanted to be in his company': Tributes paid to popular Romford postman
- 4 Man found dead following 'group disturbance' in Rainham
- 5 Murder investigation launched after man found dead in Rainham
- 6 Romford shopping centre to host more than 50 events in run up to Christmas
- 7 Hornchurch man sentenced for child exploitation and animal porn
- 8 ‘He put his life into family’: Tributes paid to former builder who died of Covid
- 9 'I feel ignored': Mum of three speaks out about bid to escape cramped housing
- 10 School submits plans to demolish sports hall and build multi-million pound replacement
He added: “Their kids are playing in the play park and my wife doesn’t feel comfortable going there. It’s unacceptable.”
Havering Council was forced to take the group that had been staying at Westlands Playing Fields, in Romford, to court on Friday.
The Travellers moved on later that afternoon after the council successfully convinced Barkingside Magistrates’ Court to issue them with an eviction notice.
Have you seen the Travellers elsewhere, or are you part of the Travelling community? Contact Sam on 0208 477 3892 or firstname.lastname@example.org.