Travellers move to Queen’s Hospital, Romford
- Credit: Archant
Travellers have moved onto land at Queen’s Hospital, Romford, just days after a group was evicted from Westlands Playing Fields.
Hospital managers Barking, Havering and Redbridge University Hospitals NHS Trust (BHRUT) confirmed that caravans moved into Oldchurch Park which surrounds the Rom Valley site yesterday.
The director of estates and facilities for BHRUT, Jackie Nugent, said the trust is working with the council and police to ensure the travellers are moved on “as quickly as possible”.
She added: “We have put in place additional security measures onto our site to discourage any further vehicles. I would like to reassure our local residents that we are doing everything possible.”
The caravans have been pitched near the children’s play park and have gained access by driving along a narrow footpath that lies between the hospital and Queen’s Day Nursery, according to a neighbour.
You may also want to watch:
The father, who did not wish to be named, said: “I was pushing my 16-month-old daughter in her pram this morning when one of them came driving towards me.”
He said that he had to move up onto the embankment to avoid the car.
- 1 Romford mum's success setting up children's clothing business amid pandemic
- 2 Plans submitted for Rainham Lidl
- 3 Four weeks' free parking for Havering shoppers as high streets reopen
- 4 Consultation begins on plans for multi-million pound health centre
- 5 Pictures: Remembering Prince Philip's visits to east London
- 6 New Harrow Lodge Leisure Centre set to open
- 7 Rainham school 'taking effective action' to improve after inadequate rating
- 8 Brookside Theatre appeals for help repairing windows
- 9 Santino Dymiter murder: Teens given life terms for 'savage' gang killing
- 10 Jailed: Burglar who drove on wrong side of road trying to flee police
He added: “Their kids are playing in the play park and my wife doesn’t feel comfortable going there. It’s unacceptable.”
Havering Council was forced to take the group that had been staying at Westlands Playing Fields, in Romford, to court on Friday.
The Travellers moved on later that afternoon after the council successfully convinced Barkingside Magistrates’ Court to issue them with an eviction notice.
Have you seen the Travellers elsewhere, or are you part of the Travelling community? Contact Sam on 0208 477 3892 or firstname.lastname@example.org.