Travellers move to Queen’s Hospital, Romford
- Credit: Archant
Travellers have moved onto land at Queen’s Hospital, Romford, just days after a group was evicted from Westlands Playing Fields.
Hospital managers Barking, Havering and Redbridge University Hospitals NHS Trust (BHRUT) confirmed that caravans moved into Oldchurch Park which surrounds the Rom Valley site yesterday.
The director of estates and facilities for BHRUT, Jackie Nugent, said the trust is working with the council and police to ensure the travellers are moved on “as quickly as possible”.
She added: “We have put in place additional security measures onto our site to discourage any further vehicles. I would like to reassure our local residents that we are doing everything possible.”
The caravans have been pitched near the children’s play park and have gained access by driving along a narrow footpath that lies between the hospital and Queen’s Day Nursery, according to a neighbour.
You may also want to watch:
The father, who did not wish to be named, said: “I was pushing my 16-month-old daughter in her pram this morning when one of them came driving towards me.”
He said that he had to move up onto the embankment to avoid the car.
- 1 Harold Wood fatal stabbing victim named as police arrest three more people
- 2 Man jailed for drug offences and violent assaults in Romford flat
- 3 New rapid testing sites open in Romford and Upminster
- 4 Arrests made after multiple stabbing in Havering
- 5 Family of Harvey Tyrrell campaigning for stricter pub safety laws
- 6 One teenager dead in Harold Hill double stabbing
- 7 CCTV cameras to enforce new lorry ban through Rainham village
- 8 New venture for Hornchurch MasterChef hairdresser
- 9 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 10 Money raised by Captain Tom to be used to fund new ambulances
He added: “Their kids are playing in the play park and my wife doesn’t feel comfortable going there. It’s unacceptable.”
Havering Council was forced to take the group that had been staying at Westlands Playing Fields, in Romford, to court on Friday.
The Travellers moved on later that afternoon after the council successfully convinced Barkingside Magistrates’ Court to issue them with an eviction notice.
Have you seen the Travellers elsewhere, or are you part of the Travelling community? Contact Sam on 0208 477 3892 or firstname.lastname@example.org.