“Ten minutes from death” mum saved by Romford medics

A pregnant mother-of-five who was “ten minutes from death” after she suffered a catastrophic bleed has praised the Romford medics who saved both her and her baby.

Bookie Kate Lucock, who was carrying a full-term child, woke up in her Rainham home last Thursday morning to find she was losing huge amounts of blood.

She was taken to Queen’s Hospital, in Rom Valley Way, Romford, after suffering a burst placenta - a highly unusual and dangerous complication.

The 35-year-old, from Seaburn Close, had lost three pints of blood, was immediately rushed into theatre, where a team of specialist doctors and nurses battled to save her and her unborn son.

Kate said: “When I saw the blood – it looked like an abattoir – I thought I was a goner for sure, and it was only afterwards that I was told I was about ten minutes from death.

“I am so, so grateful to everybody, if wasn’t for the fantastic and speedy way they dealt with me I wouldn’t be here to see my kids.”

She added: “I cannot thank the staff enough; from the first responder to the ambulance men, and the all the doctors and nurses.

Most Read

“I can’t fault anyone. They were so caring and kept me informed during the whole thing.”

Baby Reggie was born by caesarian section and was kept in intensive care after swallowing blood.

Said Kate’s 60-year-old mum Jean Burd: “We were told she would probably lose the baby, so it was just amazing that he was saved as well.”

Kate spent 24 hours in the hospital’s high dependency unit (HDU) where she was given transfusions and a special balloon to stem the bleeding in her uterus.

Incredibly she was allowed home to husband Stuart Lucock, and their children aged between 13 and four, after just three days in hospital.

Baby Reggie followed on Monday.

Despite some pain from her caesarian scar, Kate says she is nearly back to normal.

“The standard of care has definitely meant my recovery has been so quick,” she said.

Carol Drummond, divisional director for women and children’s services at Queen’s, said: “Where the placenta separates from the wall of the womb before the delivery, both the mother and baby’s lives can be put at risk. This is not a common complication and requires the team to work together quickly to ensure the mum and baby remain safe.

“I’m delighted to hear that the rapid response of the team at Queen’s Hospital helped save Mrs Lucock and her son.”