Surgery plan for Orchard Village estate
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
Plans are being considered to extend the Orchard Village regeneration scheme with a new GP surgery.
NHS England and Havering Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) are looking to create a new GP clinic to serve the “under-doctored” South Hornchurch and Rainham areas.
At present, there are no main surgeries within one mile of the village, with the nearest practice being in Barking and Dagenham.
If plans go ahead it would be able to accommodate up to 6,000 patients.
The NHS partners alongside Havering Council aim in the future to merge a number of Havering’s 53 smaller GP surgeries in order to improve patient access to services.
You may also want to watch:
A Havering CCG spokesman said: “Clearly we need a long term plan for providing primary health care for local residents and that’s what local GPs, NHS England, the council, the owners of the property and developers are working on now.”
Havering Council cabinet member for housing and deputy leader of the council, Cllr Damian White, said: “We understand NHS England and Circle Housing are discussing a new GP facility at Orchard Village in Rainham, and that a planning application is likely this autumn.”
- 1 Ex-councillor ordered to undo unauthorised green belt building works
- 2 Teenager injured after Hornchurch stabbing
- 3 Romford woman arrested on suspicion of illegal money lending
- 4 'I'm terrified': Woman calls on council to move her to new accommodation
- 5 'Hugely destructive': Action group slams proposed Lower Thames Crossing
- 6 Romford Junior Raiders sign forward James Hounsome
- 7 Covid-19: Latest figures show almost 31,000 positive cases in Havering
- 8 Harold Hill neighbours still feeling effects of freak flooding
- 9 'It was amazing': Birthday surprise vintage bus tour for woman with Down's syndrome
- 10 Kem Cetinay officially opens Array restaurant in Harold Wood
The regeneration scheme began in 2008 to improve housing conditions for the residents of the previously named Mardyke Estate, which was built in the 1960s and became known for high crime rates. It is estimated that 550 new homes will be built by the project’s completion.