St Francis Hospice quizzers buy answers from Egghead
- Credit: Archant
Brainy fundraisers took part in an unorthodox charity quiz, buying answers from a member of television pub-quiz supergroup Eggheads when they got stuck.
More than 500 people took part in the St Francis Hospice Big Yellow Quiz, which raised more than £10,000 for the Havering-atte-Bower charity.
Barry Simmons, who won £64,000 on Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?, was a semi-finalist on Mastermind and has represented England at quizzing, was on hand to offer his expertise in return for a donation, with entry fees and a raffle also contributing towards the total.
Participants were tested on the local area, spelling, and musical knowledge. They also had to use their senses in a round called What a Pong when they were asked to name the powder contained in a series of test tubes.
The winning team called themselves the Harold Wood Tank Corps and received a large prize (literally) – an oversized teddy bear sporting a bright orange hospice t-shirt.
Katy Woodgate, event organiser, said: “I’d like to thank everyone who took part and made it such a fun and financially successful night.
“Special thanks to our Quizfather Joe Agius, Barry Simmons for supporting us again this year and especially his wife Jan for giving up her birthday celebrations to be with us on the night.”
- 1 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 2 Queen’s Platinum Jubilee: Street parties and road closures in Havering
- 3 Here are five top-rated delicious 'cheap eats' in Havering, according to Tripadvisor
- 4 Have your say: End of consultation on plans for 860 Romford homes looms
- 5 TOWIE stars and West Ham footballer attend Upminster health centre's launch
- 6 TfL consultation opens on plans to extend ULEZ into Greater London
- 7 'Crucial' consultation begins on proposed changes to Lower Thames Crossing project
- 8 As many as 15 injured in Gidea Park bus crash
- 9 'Irreversible stress': Nearly 2,000 oppose move to suspend Cranham and Upminster midwifery service
- 10 Travel bulletin: Havering, Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham
To learn more about Saint Francis Hospice visitsfh.org.uk or.