Havering residents warned of weed which can cause ‘severe blistering’
- Credit: Property Care Association
A trade body has warned Havering and the UK of the dangers associated with an invasive weed which can damage skin in the sunlight.
Property Care Association (PCA), which works to control invasive weeds, has issued a warning to Romford residents about giant hogweed.
It said children and adults have reported injuries after coming into contact with the weed, which can grow up to five meters and produce up to 50,000 seeds.
These seeds can survive in the soil for “years”, according to PCA, and it has warned people to be vigilant during the summer holidays.
Technical manager of the PCA’s Invasive Weed Control Group, Dr Peter Fitzsimons, said: “Giant hogweed’s sap is extremely toxic to the skin in sunlight, making it a danger to public health.
You may also want to watch:
“Youngsters are more likely to come into contact with the plant during the summertime and the mix of warm weather and rain has provided good conditions for the weed to take hold this year.
“If anyone comes into contact with any part of the plant, followed by exposure to sunlight, they can sustain severe blistering to the skin and discomfort, and this reaction can recur for many years.”
- 1 'Disgraceful': Ex-estate agent sentenced for Chris Whitty assault
- 2 Daniel Laskos stabbing: Teens plead not guilty to murder
- 3 Chronically ill Romford man's fight for diagnosis after being told problem is psychological
- 4 Harold Hill man pleads guilty to Chris Whitty assault
- 5 Lower Thames Crossing: How would Upminster be affected?
- 6 Road and rail disruptions coming up over the coming week
- 7 Meet the Olympians from east London and Brentwood
- 8 Romford ‘best in region’ chef shares his cooking tip and favourite dish
- 9 'Lovely service': Initial impressions of Kem Cetinay's restaurant Array
- 10 Two men stabbed after fight reported outside Romford nightclub
He added that the weed needs to be “controlled and managed professionally”.