Romford Pictures: Spitfire scramblers run in 24-hour race
- Credit: Archant
Runners from all over the country descended on Hornchurch Country Park to take part in London’s first 24-hour off-road race last weekend.
One individual, Ellen Cottom, 40, from Portsmouth, managed to run more than 100 miles – equivalent to four marathons – during the time period at the first Spitfire Scramble event which attracted 220 runners.
But it was Havering Athletics Club that won the group trophy in the Hornchurch park with eight men completing a total of 36 laps of the 5.8 mile circuit.
Team leader Martin Chester, 41, from Romford, said: “The event was brilliant and well organised. I have told everyone they have to do it, and hopefully if 2015 is on, we will definitely be back.”
Teams, known as squadrons, and individuals were able to rest up in the campsite before attempting more laps later on.
You may also want to watch:
Race director Danny Coyle oversaw the weekend before having an emergency dash to Queen’s Hospital, in Romford, where he was with his wife as she gave birth to a girl just minutes before the end of the race.
“It was a weekend I will not forget in a hurry,” said Danny. “When I had to leave after my wife rang on the Saturday night, the volunteers kept the show on the road and I cannot thank them enough.
- 1 Harold Wood fatal stabbing victim named as police arrest three more people
- 2 New rapid testing sites open in Romford and Upminster
- 3 Man jailed for drug offences and violent assaults in Romford flat
- 4 Arrests made after multiple stabbing in Havering
- 5 CCTV cameras to enforce new lorry ban through Rainham village
- 6 One teenager dead in Harold Hill double stabbing
- 7 Family of Harvey Tyrrell campaigning for stricter pub safety laws
- 8 New venture for Hornchurch MasterChef hairdresser
- 9 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 10 May 17: What can't open when Covid-19 lockdown rules ease?
“I have a new event set to grow and a new daughter on the same weekend.”
To register for the 2015 event email email@example.com or call 07872 117 603.