Romford bodybuilders power through to national finals
- Credit: Empics Sports Photography Ltd.
Three bodybuilders who go by the name Team Extreme have all powered their way into the finals of a national competition.
Stephen Chandiwana, owner of Extreme Nutrition in the Quadrant Arcade, Romford, and two of the shop’s clients, Grace Stilgoe and Angela Lynch-Holdsworth, will battle it out with others at the UK Bodybuilding and Fitness Federation British Championships this weekend.
The three train together at Fitness First, South Street, and although Stephen has reached the final for the last few years and Angela is an experienced bodybuilder, the experience will be a new one for Grace.
Stephen will compete in the under 80kg bodybuilding category, Grace in the bikini fitness class and Angela in the women’s physique round.
The UKBFF is one of the leading authorities on bodybuilding in the UK, with affiliations to the International Federation of Bodybuilding IFBB which hosts the Mr Olympia contest in Las Vegas, in which Arnold Schwarzenegger made his name.
You may also want to watch:
“I started training two years ago as a new year challenge for myself,” said Grace, a 26-year-old underwriting analyst from Romford.
“It’s a lot of hard work but it’s a really fascinating learning process and I enjoy all the training that goes with it.
- 1 Deputy head: School's teachers have gone 'above and beyond' during Covid pandemic
- 2 Christmas Day babies to spend their first few weeks in lockdown
- 3 Havering households to be asked to participate in census
- 4 Council report reveals concern that borough's Covid vaccination drive may be held back
- 5 Police appeal after second fatal Rainham collision in less than a week
- 6 Illegal car meet in Rainham sees 49 fined for Covid breaches
- 7 Romford MP hails charity's 'extraordinary' work during Covid pandemic
- 8 DAB radios donated to Queen's Hospital for those too weak to hold a phone
- 9 BHRUT thanks families of NHS workers who are keeping service afloat
- 10 Havering parks and gardens five feet under water as rivers burst their banks
“I now look at my body in ways I never did.
“I feel confident and happy with how I look but I know the other competitors there will look good too, so we’ll see how it goes.”
The former pupil of Marshalls Park School, Romford, added: “It’s quite remarkable that all three of us secured a place in the finals.
“We’ll be there representing Romford under the Team Extreme name!”
The two-day British Championship event takes place at the Royal Concert Hall in Nottingham.
Pick up next week’s Recorder or visit romfordrecorder.co.uk to find out how the trio fared.