Public demand saves an under threat Rainham pool
- Credit: Archant
News that a sports centre upgrade will aim to ensure a swimming pool remains in Rainham has been welcomed.
The town’s only pool at the Chafford Sports Complex had been threatened with closure and demolition.
But The Chafford School, in Lambs Lane South, has confirmed that it intends to replace the pool, which is used by students and the wider public, as part if its 10-year regeneration plan.
Headteacher, Gary Pratt said: “Lots of discussion has taken place – it has been about balancing the needs of the school and the community and making sure we can get one sports complex that benefits everyone in Rainham.
“The swimming pool has been a huge part of Rainham for a number of years and used well by local people who want to continue to use it.”
You may also want to watch:
A planning application to upgrade all sports facilities at the school has been submitted to Havering Council.
If funding and planning permission are granted a new four lane swimming pool with spectator gallery and changing facilities, a spinning studio and a fitness room will be built as the school replaces its ageing facilities.
- 1 Havering parks and gardens five feet under water as rivers burst their banks
- 2 Infection rates are now falling in Havering - is lockdown working?
- 3 Fines issued to Romford and Upminster restaurants flouting coronavirus restrictions
- 4 More than 100 Covid dead at Queen's and King George this week
- 5 GPs roll up their sleeves to support colleagues at Queen's Hospital
- 6 Havering and Barking and Dagenham parents 'outraged' at poor quality free school meal replacements
- 7 Man killed in collision on A13 near Rainham
- 8 Doctors and nurses 'exhausted' as hospitals reach breaking point
- 9 Charity boss hails response after 'army of volunteers' come forward to support vaccine centres
- 10 Pressure on to preserve Upminster trees as council receives almost 200 messages
Cllr Jeff Tucker (Rainham and Wennington, IRG) welcomed the news.
He said: “We have not got much in Rainham but what we have got we want to maintain. It’s the only sports facility we have.”
Cllr Tucker called on the council to give “all the assistance possible” to The Chafford School as it works to develop the facilities for the use of students and the wider community.
The planning application, submitted by Stanley Bragg Architects Ltd on behalf of The Chafford School Academy Trust states that existing facilities at the site are in a state of disrepair, crating health and safety issues with teaching.
The plans include a public entrance to the site to prevent interference with day-to-day life at the academy.
Construction will be dependant upon the approval of funding from the Education Funding Agency.
The swimming pool is one of just five in three centres across the borough. Hornchurch Sports Complex and Central Park Leisure Complex in Harold Hill have two each.