Nurse’s actions ‘wholly unacceptable’ after holding up soiled bed sheets to patient’s face

Hornchurch Nursing Home. Picture: Google Maps.

Hornchurch Nursing Home. Picture: Google Maps. - Credit: Google Maps

A registered nurse has been charged with serious misconduct after a panel of medical experts ruled she had “abused a vulnerable resident”.

Margaret Akwo Tabe who worked at Hornchurch Nursing Home was found guilty of a number of charges at a Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) hearing last week.

A panel hearing her case judged her actions at the nursing home to be “wholly unacceptable”.

Among the charges levelled at the nurse was an incident which happened at the home in Suttons Lane, Hornchurch, in September 2013, where Tabe held a soiled sheet to a resident’s face and said words to the effect of “Is this what you did? Now I have to clean it up”.

The panel also heard how Tabe denied speaking in the aggressive manner and holding up the sheet to the resident’s face in subsequent interviews with the nursing home’s manager.

It was determined Tabe had “demonstrated limited remorse” as she had not been forthcoming with an apology in any statements.

Experts concluded the nurse’s actions in the past had put residents at unwarranted risk of harm, and brought the profession into disrepute.

Most Read

As a result, the three panel members found Tabe’s fitness to practise was currently impaired and imposed an interim conditions of practice order for a period of 18 months.

It means the registered nurse must meet with a line manager, mentor or supervisor at least every month to discuss the standard of her performance.

When deciding her fate, the panel acknowledged there had been no further complaints arising from the agency which employs her currently.

Tabe has 28 days to appeal the decision.

Should she not appeal, the nurse will have the conditions of practice order reduced to 12 months.

A spokesman for Hornchurch Nursing Home said: “We do not tolerate behaviour like this. We dismissed Ms Tabe following an internal investigation three years ago, and referred this case to the NMC.”