NHS turns 73: Heroic service celebrates birthday milestone
- Credit: Chantelle Billson
As the NHS turns 73, the Recorder looks back at how the local service has managed its most challenging ever period.
Romford's Queen's Hospital is one of countless up and down the country that was thrust into the coalface of coronavirus less than 18 months ago.
This newspaper watched on as the facility - part of the Barking, Havering and Redbridge University Hospitals NHS Trust (BHRUT) - battled every negative milestone of Covid-19 and waited for the ray of hope offered by vaccination.
As a birthday message and a tribute to every person who works for the NHS, here's a timeline of the most significant moments to take place at Queen's Hospital since the pandemic began.
March 12 2020
You may also want to watch:
March 24 2020
How are staff coping just weeks into lockdown? The Recorder spoke with Magda Smith, chief medical officer for BHRUT.
March 26 2020
- 1 'Important' ATMs removed from Romford shopping mall
- 2 Two in hospital after crash in Upminster involving 'stolen' van
- 3 Eight arrested on suspicion of murder following death of two teens
- 4 Upminster chef named best in the country with award
- 5 Cladding scandal: Homeowners ‘stuck’ as service charges rise
- 6 Woman dies after car crash near Upminster
- 7 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 8 Men questioned and 200 hours of CCTV seized after boys killed in Brentwood
- 9 Detectives appeal for witnesses to Upminster crash involving 'stolen' van
- 10 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
March 27 2020
The first clap for NHS workers took place around the country, including in Havering.
April 7 2020
A consultant from the intensive care team at Queen's Hospital shared his experience of life on the frontline.
May 19 2020
Queen's and King George Hospitals recorded 400 coronavirus-related deaths.
November 6 2020
Queen's Hospital headed into the second lockdown with hospitalisations five times higher than on March 22.
December 15 2020
December 16 2020
January 11 2021
January 14 2021
Critical care capacity at BHRUT hospitals stands at 95 per cent as deaths exceed 1,100.
January 21 2021
January 28 2021
Queen's Hospital 'past the peak' of Covid-19, according to BHRUT chief medical officer Magda Smith.
March 2 2021
After one year of the pandemic, there were 26,414 cases recorded in Havering.
March 11 2021
One year in, and BHRUT staff shared their experiences with the Recorder: "The biggest sentiment everyone feels at the moment is sheer exhaustion. Everyone is absolutely exhausted."
April 20 2021
Covid-19 hospital admissions and deaths reported as on the decline at Queen's Hospital.
April 26 2021
A doctor documented the 'terrifying reality' of Covid-19's second wave.
June 11 2021
New figures reveal the impact of Covid-19 on NHS waiting times.