Search

Negotiations over disputed junior contract restart

PUBLISHED: 14:06 05 May 2016 | UPDATED: 14:06 05 May 2016

Junior doctors on strike outside of Queen's Hospital in Romford

Junior doctors on strike outside of Queen's Hospital in Romford

Archant

Junior doctors in Romford have agreed to halt further strikes as negotiations with the government restart.

Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt has said he is willing to suspend the introduction of the new junior doctors’ contract for five days from Monday in order to allow further talks.

The long-running dispute saw junior doctors withdraw emergency care, for the first time ever, in two one-day strikes at the hospital in Rom Valley Way, Romford, last week.

Consultants were called in to provide cover to affected departments, including A&E and intensive care.

Negotiations broke down in February over the issue of extended working hours and Saturday pay, which the Health Secretary says must now be the focus of new discussions.

Speaking outside Queen’s last week, junior doctor Emma Jones, 32, appealed for negotiations to be restarted.

She said: “I thought about it for a very long time but no one thinks this contract will lead to a safe NHS.”


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Romford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Romford Recorder