Nearly 90pc of ICU Covid patients in north east London not fully vaccinated
- Credit: BHRUT
Almost 90 per cent of patients admitted to intensive care units (ICU) in north east London are not fully vaccinated.
Between July 14 and September 2 this year, 203 patients with Covid-19 were admitted to ICUs across the region.
Of these, 181 (89pc) did not have both doses of the jab, the majority an average six years younger than fully-vaccinated patients admitted to ICUs.
Rajesh Jain, critical care lead at Barking, Havering and Redbridge University Hospitals NHS Trust (BHRUT), said the figures showed that getting both doses was the best way to protect yourself.
He said: “The Covid-19 patients currently in our ICUs are unlikely to have needed intensive care if they had been fully vaccinated.
“I’d encourage everyone to ensure you have both doses. Reducing the number of patients needing to be admitted to our ICUs will also reduce pressure on our already stretched staff.”
One-third of ICU beds across the north east London region, which is covered by BHRUT and Barts Health trusts, are occupied with Covid-19 patients
- 1 TfL confirms plan to 'strengthen' Gallows Corner flyover 'for many generations to come'
- 2 'When it’s hot, it’s a sauna’: Residents rally against scaffolding on Romford apartment building
- 3 Dispersal order enforced in Elm Park amid antisocial behaviour concerns
- 4 Hornchurch medical centre temporarily shut after legionella bacteria found
- 5 'Impasse': Deadline looms over Havering parties struggling to agree to coalition after election
- 6 Proposal to build six flats on former Collier Row petrol station
- 7 Teachers and other union members strike at Harold Hill school over restructure during cost-of-living crisis
- 8 Man charged with murder of 'loving father' from Romford
- 9 In pictures: See the adorable dogs who competed for show ribbons in Noak Hill
- 10 Proposal to demolish Hornchurch bungalow to build four-bed house
BHRUT said the surge was having an impact on the care of other patients.
Find information on where to get vaccinated in north east London here.