Model train enthusiasts host Hornchurch exhibition
- Credit: Archant
A model railway society pulled out all the stops when they displayed their creative works during a special exhibition.
The Romford Model Railway society, based at The Billet, in Fairkytes Arts Centre, in Billet Lane, Hornchurch, showed off their creative model railways at an open day on Saturday.
Member of the society, Laurie Calvert, 52, of St Andrew’s Avenue, Elm Park, said: “It was a good opportunity for us to showcase our work and to display just some of what we have been doing.”
The society currently has 25 members and has been running for 42 years. It is now based at the arts centre where they work on creating and putting together their models.
Laurie said: “It’s not really about the trains, but what you build around them. The scenery is usually far more interesting than the trains themselves so it was nice to give other people a chance to see what we do.”
Members of the society produced displays that took them around five months to produce, including Laurie’s science-fiction theme railway, with crashed spaceships, aliens and even a dinosaur or two thrown into the mix!
He said: “I wanted to do something a little bit different, something I don’t think anyone has ever done before and creating this was a great way to be creative.
- 1 'Feels like family': Romford school delights in Ofsted outcome
- 2 Two 'child abduction' arrests after three-year-old girl reported missing
- 3 Police investigate reports of disabled students' 'unexplained' injuries at college
- 4 Collier Row pub applies to 'enhance outdoor seating experience'
- 5 Latest data shows Covid admissions rising again at east London hospitals
- 6 Rainham and Dagenham MP calls for delay to ULEZ expansion
- 7 Homes under the Planner: Applications submitted or approved in Havering
- 8 Up to 21m, 35,000sqm redevelopment of Rainham industrial site given green light
- 9 Man murdered two armed teenage boys who had been chasing him, court told
- 10 Jailed: Hornchurch man found with weapons in Dagenham
“Model railways isn’t just for people who love trains but creative people who want to help to build something from their imagination.”