Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2020
Rules on face masks imposed due to the coronavirus pandemic could be changed next month, the health secretary has confirmed.
The wearing of face coverings across a variety of settings, including on public transport, in shops and restaurants, has been in force since last summer.
But now the government has announced it could change the rules around mask-wearing from next month
Matt Hancock said ministers "haven't ruled that out" as part of step four of England's roadmap for easing Covid-19 restrictions on 21 June, but he urged people to continue exercising "personal responsibility".
He also said those aged 35 and over will be offered their coronavirus vaccine soon, with the rollout currently inoculating everyone over the age of 40.
Mr Hancock made the announcement after prime minister Boris Johnson confirmed step three of lockdown easing will go ahead next Monday, May 17.
This means pubs and restaurants will be able to reopen indoors and people allowed to mix indoors as two households or under the rule of six. People will also have the choice of whether to socially distance with close family and friends they are meeting up with.
- 1 Ex-councillor under investigation over Green Belt building works
- 2 Tributes paid to well-loved Romford market fruit-seller
- 3 From 100 steps to 10,000: Romford woman tackles serious health issues by losing third of body weight
- 4 Campaigners launch petition to keep Emerson Park in Hornchurch constituency
- 5 Six green spaces to enjoy in Havering
- 6 Firefighters fight car alight in Romford
- 7 Love Island star Kem Cetinay says Romford's Array to open 'in three weeks'
- 8 Thunderstorms, heavy rain forecast as Met Office issues yellow warnings
- 9 Death of Daniel Laskos far from isolated as London teen killings surge
- 10 BID installs wall of evergreen plants to ‘welcome people’ to Romford
Guidance on close personal conduct will be also be published, and will include guidance around individuals taking personal responsibility and exercising common sense according to their circumstances.