Queen’s and King George hospitals looking for more doctors, nurses and healthcare professionals
- Credit: Archant
A former airline worker who stopped his nursing training after a stroke is among those who have returned to help the NHS.
King George Hospital, Goodmayes, and Queen’s Hospital, Romford, are trying to hire more than 70 new doctors, nurses and healthcare professionals to tackle the pandemic.
In total, 19 doctors, two nurses and 53 healthcare professionals have been offered roles.
Among them is Chris Gammons, of Epping, whose nursing training stopped after a stroke.
Now working at Queen’s, he said: “Ten years ago I was doing my nursing qualification. I only stopped because I had a stroke.
You may also want to watch:
“When I saw my local trust were looking for staff to support them during the coronavirus outbreak it felt like the right time to go back to what I love doing – caring for others! I’m glad I can do my bit to help.”
Mr Gammons added that he hopes the opportunity will give him the motivation to complete his nursing degree in future.
- 1 Man in hospital after falling 'from height' in Romford
- 2 Brentwood church rave: More than 130 images released in appeal
- 3 Romford cinemas announce reopening plans after lockdown
- 4 Woman dies after 'falling from height' by Liberty Shopping Centre
- 5 Former Lakeside Hammers co-promoter Jon Cook passes away
- 6 New Romford author speaks out about feeling 'invisible' as a black father
- 7 Hornchurch tie down manager Stimson with new two-year contract
- 8 Horses die after Upminster stables blaze
- 9 London elections: Havering and Redbridge candidates make case for your vote
- 10 What is changing as lockdown eases on May 17?
Barking, Havering and Redbridge University Hospitals NHS Trust, which manages the two hospitals, will continue to recruit as many staff as they can to support the current outbreak.
So far, more than 300 patients have died from the coronavirus at the trust’s hospitals.
David Amos, interim executive director of people and organisational development, said: “I am so grateful for all those people who have applied to support our hospitals during this testing time. It’s truly amazing to see everyone coming together for the NHS.”
If you are interested in working with the trust, you can apply at https://www.bhrhospitals.nhs.uk/work-for-us.