Havering smokers urged to quit as part of ‘Stoptober’
During October, smokers in Havering are being encouraged to take part in the first ever mass quit attempt launched by the Department of Health, and supported by staff at North East London NHS Foundation Trust.
Smoking is one of the biggest cause of premature death in Havering and each year it accounts for over 100,000 deaths in the UK and one in two long-term smokers will die prematurely from a smoking disease.
The ‘Stoptober’ campaign will make a free preparation pack available for residents, as well as expert advice through mobile phone apps, motivational text messages and a Facebook page.
Nicola Hill, Stop Smoking Service Manager for North East London NHS Foundation Trust, said: “As well as the financial benefits of stopping smoking, those undertaking the 28 day programme will experience physical improvements including a better sense of smell and taste and more energy.
“Longer term, those who stop smoking reduce their risk of heart disease and lung cancer as well as protecting others from their second hand smoke.
You may also want to watch:
“I urge smokers in Havering to take up the Stoptober challenge. Our Stop Smoking advisors will be on hand to offer advice and support to help you quit this deadly habit.”
For more information and to join the biggest stop smoking challenge of its kind, visit smokefree.nhs.uk/Stoptober.
- 1 Police investigating 'unexplained' death in Collier Row
- 2 Housing in Havering: Major developments set to come to the borough
- 3 Two men stabbed after fight reported outside Romford nightclub
- 4 Reward offered to help find iconic Noak Hill Laurel and Hardy statues
- 5 Pooches delight as new dog-friendly playground opens at Collier Row pub
- 6 Plan agreed to tackle persistent flooding in Abbs Cross Lane
- 7 Apology issued after council error sees pupils' fee multiplied by 100
- 8 Can you help find missing teenager last seen in Hornchurch?
- 9 How did your Havering GP surgery score in NHS patient survey?
- 10 New Home Bargains store to open in Romford
The NELFT Stop Smoking team can be contacted on 0800 032 0102.