Havering smokers urged to quit as part of ‘Stoptober’
During October, smokers in Havering are being encouraged to take part in the first ever mass quit attempt launched by the Department of Health, and supported by staff at North East London NHS Foundation Trust.
Smoking is one of the biggest cause of premature death in Havering and each year it accounts for over 100,000 deaths in the UK and one in two long-term smokers will die prematurely from a smoking disease.
The ‘Stoptober’ campaign will make a free preparation pack available for residents, as well as expert advice through mobile phone apps, motivational text messages and a Facebook page.
Nicola Hill, Stop Smoking Service Manager for North East London NHS Foundation Trust, said: “As well as the financial benefits of stopping smoking, those undertaking the 28 day programme will experience physical improvements including a better sense of smell and taste and more energy.
“Longer term, those who stop smoking reduce their risk of heart disease and lung cancer as well as protecting others from their second hand smoke.
“I urge smokers in Havering to take up the Stoptober challenge. Our Stop Smoking advisors will be on hand to offer advice and support to help you quit this deadly habit.”
For more information and to join the biggest stop smoking challenge of its kind, visit smokefree.nhs.uk/Stoptober.
- 1 Proposal to bulldoze Romford shops to make way for 15 homes
- 2 'A social club for the community': 90-year-old Hornchurch snooker hall to close after 'losing battle' over lease
- 3 Bid to turn Harold Wood motor shop into three-bedroom home refused by council
- 4 Plans for new Gidea Park fries and chicken takeaway rejected
- 5 Man on trial for Brentwood double murder was in 'flight mode', court hears
- 6 MP Julia Lopez announces resignation as minister and calls for PM to 'step aside'
- 7 Romford pair to 'bring a little bit of raving' to 'more mature' Hornchurch community
- 8 'I hadn’t done anything wrong’: Romford man wins five-month fight over parking fine
- 9 Man arrested after allegedly begging while armed with hammer
- 10 Watch: Brawl erupts on Heath Park street outside pub
The NELFT Stop Smoking team can be contacted on 0800 032 0102.