Havering recycling scheme set to make a splash
- Credit: Archant
Recycling residents will now be able to earn swimming vouchers for their efforts.
Green Points Havering rewards those who reduce waste, now has 25,000 members in the borough.
And after a deal was struck with Everyone Active leisure centres, they will all now be able to keep fit as a result.
Waste and recycling are measured across eight areas to determine the number of points to award to each household.
Cllr Robert Benham, cabinet member for environment, said: “People can get fit, have fun and help the environment all at the same time.”
You may also want to watch:
An adult swim can be purchased for 1,520 points with a child swim just 1,120. A game of squash will set you back 3,200 points.
Participating centres are Central Park Leisure Centre in Harold Hill, Chafford Sports Complex in Lambs Lane South, Rainham and Hornchurch Sports Centre in Harrow Lodge Park.
- 1 Havering parks and gardens five feet under water as rivers burst their banks
- 2 Fines issued to Romford and Upminster restaurants flouting coronavirus restrictions
- 3 More than 100 Covid dead at Queen's and King George this week
- 4 Man killed in collision on A13 near Rainham
- 5 Appeal to identify bogus meter reader suspect
- 6 Pressure on to preserve Upminster trees as council receives almost 200 messages
- 7 Doctors and nurses 'exhausted' as hospitals reach breaking point
- 8 Sonic boom heard across east London, Essex and Cambridge
- 9 Charity boss hails response after 'army of volunteers' come forward to support vaccine centres
- 10 Bid to change some Havering electoral wards scrapped after complaints