Gym scheme launches for people with health problems
- Credit: Archant
An innovative new health scheme is targeting people with medical conditions for a 12-week gym programme.
Everyone Active, which runs Central Park Leisure Centre in Harold Hill and Hornchurch Leisure centre, has teamed up with Havering Council to launch the Physical Activity Referral Scheme (Pars).
The idea is that people over 16 who have pre-existing problems and would benefit from exercise head to the gym and receive support and advice from experts.
People with high blood pressure, obesity, diabetes, asthma, depression and a number of other conditions can sign up but must first check with their GP.
Eric Bush was referred by his GP for high blood pressure and high cholesterol at the ripe age of 77.
You may also want to watch:
Having had a tumour on his pituitary gland, he was put on steroids which led to weight gain.
Although initially nervous, he completed the course and not only lowered his blood pressure and resting heart rate but successfully lost weight.
- 1 Woman dies after falling from 'substantial height' in Romford
- 2 Demolition 'will now begin' to make way for 120 homes at former campus
- 3 Signals at Hornchurch 'crash hotspot' now under review
- 4 Altered timetable means fewer fast trains between Romford and Liverpool Street
- 5 Hornchurch man to face trial accused of teeth whitening offence
- 6 Ex-cop quizzed by police amid historic child sex investigation
- 7 Gallows Corner Tesco development proposal refused
- 8 Sixth form denies knowledge of alleged A Level 'no confidence vote'
- 9 Major train disruption and cancellations through Barking via Rainham
- 10 ‘It was odd’: Nurse who battled breast cancer retires after 30 years
Tina Steel was struggling to lose weight and manage her blood pressure and cholesterol levels. She lost over two stone and has a lot more energy – and now hits the gym five times a week.
“We are very excited to be offering the scheme at two of our centres,” said Dan Humphries, Everyone Active general manager. “We hope it will help local residents in need of this service feel healthier, more confident and bring an improved sense of wellbeing”.
The sessions are £3 - referred clients must attend at least two sessions a week for 12 weeks. After that, discount membership offers are available.
For more information call the Havering Health and Sports Development Team on 01708 433770.
Call Central Park Leisure Centre on 01708 382820 or Hornchurch Leisure Centre on 01708 454135.