GP plans to go it alone over long discussed Rainham Village health centre
A GP says he will use new powers given to doctors to set up a long-awaited new health centre in Rainham Village.
After years of wrangling and discussion about a new centre between various bodies who oversee healthcare, Dr Ron Adur says he’s going to use commissioning powers that come into effect next year to set up the centre.
His plan is for a centre that will have a catchment area of 10,000 patients, “five or six” GPs on site, and other health facilities, as well as training facilities for new doctors and nurses.
He said: “We’re going to do what has been talked about for the last 15 years. I’ve been planning it for three months and should be able to buy the land in the next week to 10 days.
You may also want to watch:
“It will be in the centre of the village, with excellent transport links and facilities. The village will get its heart back.”
As part of his plan, his surgery in Berwick Road will move to the site, as will another local GP, and there will be other facilities on site.
- 1 Reward offered to help find iconic Noak Hill Laurel and Hardy statues
- 2 Housing in Havering: Major developments set to come to the borough
- 3 Two men stabbed after fight reported outside Romford nightclub
- 4 Police investigating 'unexplained' death in Collier Row
- 5 Pooches delight as new dog-friendly playground opens at Collier Row pub
- 6 Plan agreed to tackle persistent flooding in Abbs Cross Lane
- 7 Apology issued after council error sees pupils' fee multiplied by 100
- 8 Gidea Park events planner hopes to host summer community festival
- 9 Polling places review underway ahead of 2022 ward increase
- 10 New Home Bargains store to open in Romford
Patients at existing GP surgeries won’t need to sign-up with the centre as new, but will be transferred to the same doctor at the new centre, which is hoped to be open in about one year’s time.
He hopes to gain planning permission by the autumn, with work to begin soon afterwards.
Cllr Jeff Tucker (Independent Residents’ Group, Rainham and Wennington) said: “This is one of the best pieces of news I’ve ever heard in my time as a councillor.
“Rainham Village has been waiting for years and years for a promised new health centre.
“I’m really excited about it, it will be fantastic news for the village, and with one man overseeing it, rather than different partnerships, I believe it will work.”
Cllr Tucker has asked that Dr Adur and other members of staff involved in the new centre to be part of the Olympic Torch Relay parade in Rainham Village on Sunday.