Event at Harold Hill community centre aims to raise money for brave Hornchurch cancer sufferer
- Credit: Archant
A kind Harold Hill woman is helping to organise a charity night to raise money for the treatment of seven-year-old cancer sufferer Joni-Mai.
Rita O’Leary, 45, planned the fundraising event with the help of her friends.
It will take place at 7pm at Harold Hill community centre, Gooshays Drive, Harold Hill, on Saturday.
Singer Luke Burr will be performing and there will also be a children’s entertainer and a DJ.
“Every single person is doing it for free. Even the venue, they have given it to us for free,” said Rita.
“That’s how brilliant people have been”.
There will be an auction and a raffle on the night. Items already available for auction include a one week holiday in Tenerife, teeth whitening worth £400 and a signed Paul Hollywood book.
- 1 Wendy's Romford to open tomorrow
- 2 Eight-storey housing and retail development proposed for centre of Romford
- 3 Mayor of Havering admitted to hospital with Covid-19
- 4 Hornchurch school puts latest outstanding rating down to 'perfect synergy'
- 5 Service users overcharged total of £5m by council accounting 'screw up'
- 6 Developer submits plan to build 28 houses on rural industrial park
- 7 Police: Blaze in flats with flammable cladding was arson attack
- 8 Woman who 'glued neighbour's door shut' ordered to pay over £600
- 9 'Devastated' friends need £36k to help mum with bowel cancer
- 10 Plans to cut up to 600 Tube station jobs amid TfL 'funding crisis'
Rita said that people had been so generous that even the raffle tickets had been given to them for free.
“People from everywhere are doing things for her. People are desperate to get this money in place,” she added.
Rita said that although she doesn’t know the family personally, she felt that she needed to help.
“I actually don’t know the family of the little girl,” Rita explained.
“When I read the story about her, it just touched me and I thought I have to do something.”
Rita recently met Joni-Mai for the first time.
“I actually met her last week and she’s absolutely lovely.
“She’s so beautiful,” she said.
An adult ticket will cost £7.00 and all proceeds will go towards helping raise money for specialist treatment in America.
To donate, please visit www.gofundme.com/FortheLoveofJoni. For more information about Joni-Mai and other fundraisers, click the links on the right.