Cells unlocked at Hornchuch Police Station open day
- Credit: Archant
Dozens of children were cuffed and shown the inside of a cell this week - but it was all in the name of fun.
The long arm of the law held an open day at Hornchurch Police Station on Tuesday for residents to get a close-up look of work Havering officers get up to.
Visitors were shown how to put on a riot helmet and hold a shield, given a tour of the cells and Pc Anthony Kiddle, Havering’s Wildlife Officer, was also on hand with his display of seized animal skins.
Police Con Matt Ingram, Havering’s youth coordinator, said the event was very successful.
“More than 700 people passed through the doors and everyone seemed to really enjoy the experience,” he said. “I received several enquiries from young people who expressed an interest in becoming a cadet and I will be contacting these individuals in the very near future.”
You may also want to watch:
Officers from the Safer Transport Team offered free bike security marking and children were given the opportunity to sit in a police car and play with the siren.
Supt Cheryl Burden said: “I would like to thank Matt Ingram for all his hard work. It is vital we engage with the community we serve and ensure confidence in the police remains at a high level.”
- 1 Hundreds of shoppers queue outside Primark in Romford as restrictions ease
- 2 Shopkeepers and customers celebrate as Romford high streets reopen
- 3 Neighbour’s fury as mountain of rubbish piles up outside cottage
- 4 Mayoral election 2021: how will candidates improve east London?
- 5 Top Havering pubs open with beer gardens
- 6 Police officer sacked after 'encouraging friend to lie about collision'
- 7 BHRUT in capsule trial for detecting colorectal cancer
- 8 Elm Park pays tribute to Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh
- 9 Five-year-old Ezra cycles 500km for charity
- 10 Heritage: Mystery of the moated mound on Romford Hill
Other displays included the Volunteer Police Cadets, Officer Safety Trainers, Metropolitan Special Constabulary and Havering Museum.
The Police Helicopter even put in an appearance with a very exciting fly-by over the Police Station.
The Fire Brigade and London Ambulance Service also put in appearances at the event.