Hayles lifts Hornchurch
Romford suffer slender defeat
Hornchurch made it five wins in six Ryman Premier Division games with a slender success over forthcoming FA Trophy opponents Wingate.
Rickie Hayles netted the only goal of the game in the 51st minute, following his recent return to the club, as he scrambled home from close range.
Joe Anderson’s free-kick was pushed out by visiting keeper Gavin King, but Hayles reacted quickest in the box to convert the loose ball.
Victory lifted Urchins to fifth place and manager Jimmy McFarlane said: “It wasn’t easy but I always felt confident we’d win.
You may also want to watch:
“It was good to keep another clean sheet, I was really pleased.”
Hornchurch host Bury tomorrow, who will be looking to bounce back after bowing out of the FA Cup in a 1-0 defeat at Ryman Division One North side Redbridge, who were handed a home tie against Dunstable Town in today’s third qualifying round draw.
- 1 Public detain male in street after alleged bid to rob Rainham shop
- 2 Romford school prepped for another 100 years as major renovation works end
- 3 Hospital's failure to identify neck injury 'contributed' to courier's death, inquest finds
- 4 Trust celebrating Hornchurch history opens new permanent heritage centre
- 5 Woman dies after falling from 'substantial height' in Romford
- 6 Hospitality Hero: 'Biggest prize is appreciation,' says tearoom owner
- 7 Report found Town Hall response to alleged sexual harassment case 'disturbing'
- 8 Woman who struggled to walk with 'excruciating pain’ to run London Marathon
- 9 Hornchurch man to face trial accused of teeth whitening offence
- 10 Demolition 'will now begin' to make way for 120 homes at former campus
Meanwhile, Romford tasted only their second league defeat of the season in a 1-0 reverse at Enfield Town.
Adam Wallace claimed the only goal in the first minute of the second half at Cheshunt’s Theobalds Lane ground.
And only some fine saves from young keeper Elliot Anderson denied the home side further goals.
Boro visit Chatham tomorrow, after the Kent club also suffered a 1-0 defeat at the hands of Brentwood on Saturday.
Aveley saw their FA Cup hopes shattered by Combined Counties League outfit Hanworth Villa, falling to a 1-0 defeat.
And Thurrock face a replay with VCD Athletic at Ship Lane tonight, after a 2-2 draw with the Kent League side.
The winners will be at home to Arlesey Town in the next round.