Havering young person’s champion Jack Petchey given CBE
East end philanthropist Jack Petchey - who has helped children from Havering and beyond - received a CBE at a special ceremony recently.
Rather than the traditional presentation at Buckingham Palace, where he received his OBE in 2004, Jack chose to share his prestigious occasion with 150 young people - also receiving awards for their achievements at one of the annual Jack Petchey Foundation Achievement Award celebrations.
Jack, 86, was given his medal by Sir David Brewer, Lord-Lieutenant of Greater London - only the second CBE honour he has been asked to bestow on behalf of the Queen.
Jack, who received his award for charitable services, said “Thank you to everyone who has helped me on my way, particularly to the Scouts who 80 years ago taught me to do a good deed every day.
“I think the Jack Petchey Foundation gives much more than money, it gives support, encouragement and inspiration to our youth. It’s nice to receive an honour and the acknowledgement that goes with it – I feel very proud indeed”
You may also want to watch:
Over the years Jack has become known by young people as their “champion” since he set up his foundation to recognise the positive contributions youths make to society.
The foundation has invested more than �70 million in a wide range of youth initiatives, including grass roots youth clubs, youth organisations, secondary schools and uniformed organisations throughout London and Essex.
- 1 'Disgraceful': Ex-estate agent sentenced for Chris Whitty assault
- 2 Harold Hill man pleads guilty to Chris Whitty assault
- 3 Chronically ill Romford man's fight for diagnosis after being told problem is psychological
- 4 Daniel Laskos stabbing: Teens plead not guilty to murder
- 5 Lower Thames Crossing: How would Upminster be affected?
- 6 Daniel Laskos stabbing: Teens charged with murder to face court
- 7 Romford ‘best in region’ chef shares his cooking tip and favourite dish
- 8 Action promised over 'lorry parking forcing children to walk in busy road'
- 9 'Lovely service': Initial impressions of Kem Cetinay's restaurant Array
- 10 Local high street rewards scheme launched in Brentwood
For more info, visit www.jackpetcheyfoundation.org.u