Havering young person’s champion Jack Petchey given CBE
East end philanthropist Jack Petchey - who has helped children from Havering and beyond - received a CBE at a special ceremony recently.
Rather than the traditional presentation at Buckingham Palace, where he received his OBE in 2004, Jack chose to share his prestigious occasion with 150 young people - also receiving awards for their achievements at one of the annual Jack Petchey Foundation Achievement Award celebrations.
Jack, 86, was given his medal by Sir David Brewer, Lord-Lieutenant of Greater London - only the second CBE honour he has been asked to bestow on behalf of the Queen.
Jack, who received his award for charitable services, said “Thank you to everyone who has helped me on my way, particularly to the Scouts who 80 years ago taught me to do a good deed every day.
“I think the Jack Petchey Foundation gives much more than money, it gives support, encouragement and inspiration to our youth. It’s nice to receive an honour and the acknowledgement that goes with it – I feel very proud indeed”
You may also want to watch:
Over the years Jack has become known by young people as their “champion” since he set up his foundation to recognise the positive contributions youths make to society.
The foundation has invested more than �70 million in a wide range of youth initiatives, including grass roots youth clubs, youth organisations, secondary schools and uniformed organisations throughout London and Essex.
- 1 Plane crash in Upminster sees man taken to hospital as a priority
- 2 Man charged with multiple child exploitation offences to stand trial
- 3 Man 'wraps metal chain around woman's neck' in Hornchurch park attack
- 4 Coffee shop apologises for 'mis-post' offering kitten as Christmas prize
- 5 Future of bus route hangs in the balance as consultation ends
- 6 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 7 BHRUT 'determined to learn' after inquest finds failures in pensioner's care before her death
- 8 West Ham legend Sir Trevor Brooking supports charity golf day
- 9 Free holiday swimming sessions return for Havering schoolchildren
- 10 Road and rail: Disruptions to watch out for in Havering next week
For more info, visit www.jackpetcheyfoundation.org.u