Havering wildlife spot one of best in UK
Havering countryside has been recognised as one of the best in Great Britain and Ireland - according to a new book out now
Rainham Marshes, which features in Christopher Somerville’s Britain and Ireland’s Best Wild Places, is part of a 500-strong list of outstanding outdoor areas filled with wildlife, marshland and untamed coastline.
Howard Vaughan, RSPB Rainham Marshes information officer, said: “It is wonderful to be recognised as somewhere of outstanding natural interest and is testimony to all the hard work the staff and volunteers have put in over the last eleven years”
Christopher’s describes Rainham Marshes in his book by saying “Water rail [a bird] skulk along the water channels and barn owls are seen floating like ghosts across the marshes at night” and identifies the marshes as a significant location within the Home Counties.
Howard added: “The marshes are a great place to get close to nature – there is something for everyone here. Where else could you watch water voles munching reeds while a grass snake stalks the frogs and yellow-footed Little Egrets tiptoe round the water margins”
You may also want to watch:
As well as dividing the locations geographically, the book also provides its readers with vital information such as how to get to the locations and what to expect when they arrive.
The descriptions found in the book have been heavily influenced from Christopher’s 25 years travelling experience visiting the wilderness of Britain and Ireland. The book is also filled with photographs which help bring the words to life.
- 1 How did your Havering GP surgery score in NHS patient survey?
- 2 New Home Bargains store to open in Romford
- 3 Romford drama students to feature alongside celebrities in new WW2 film
- 4 10-storey block expansion of 700-home development in Rainham gets go-ahead
- 5 Free swimming for schoolchildren in Havering launched ahead of Olympics
- 6 Secondary schools in Havering rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 7 Havering residents warned of weed which can cause ‘severe blistering’
- 8 Dagenham seal comfortable win over Hornchurch in pre-season
- 9 Four-car crash in Havering-atte-Bower reignites calls for 20mph speed limit
- 10 Heritage: Romford's key role in the English Civil War
Best Wild Places is now on sale in all major book stores costing �19.99.