Havering student future Miss UK?
HAVERING student Amanda Williams has proved she has brains and beauty after being shortlisted for the live finals of the Miss UK 2011 contest.
Amanda, who goes to Havering Sixth Form College, received the most votes in her regional heat, and will now compete in the judges round – the live grand final, in London in August 2011.
Amanda, who is studying A Levels in Interior and 3D Design, Drama and Theatre Studies and English Language at the college in Wingletye Lane, Hornchurch, said: “I am so pleased to have got through – I did it! In the next round we have to present the judges with a reason as to why we deserve the title and do some performances, modelling and things like that. Then the winner of the whole contest will be announced.”
With dreams of one day becoming an actress, Amanda entered the contest to “get her name out there”, but had no idea she would do so well.
She said: “I’ve always loved entertaining people with my talents such as dancing, acting and singing. I didn’t think it was possible for me to be this lucky but now that I’ve got this far, I want it so bad. It will definitely kick-start my dreams and goals in life.”
You may also want to watch:
She added: “I thought I’d enter this competition and see how far I get. I had no clue whatsoever I would get this far. As well as acting, I’ve always been keen on getting into modelling but never thought I’d stand a chance because there are so many pretty girls around and I’m not the tallest of people.”
Amanda entered the competition online and was one of 500 chosen from the 9,500 entrants to have a professional photoshoot and was then delighted to hear she was one of just 50 who had been picked to go through to the public text vote.
- 1 Teen hospitalised after being stabbed in Upminster
- 2 Woman dies after falling from 'substantial height' in Romford
- 3 Romford school prepped for another 100 years as major renovation works end
- 4 Public detain male in street after alleged bid to rob Rainham shop
- 5 Broken bus stop in Upminster to be repaired within 'few weeks'
- 6 Royal Mail apologises for Covid-related delays as pensioner reports no deliveries 'for weeks'
- 7 Hospital's failure to identify neck injury 'contributed' to courier's death, inquest finds
- 8 Woman who struggled to walk with 'excruciating pain’ to run London Marathon
- 9 Hospitality Hero: 'Biggest prize is appreciation,' says tearoom owner
- 10 Hornchurch Covid woodland memorial gets residents' backing, survey says
Amanda and one other contestant went through on the public vote to the grand finals.
Prizes for the winners include: Make-up and tanning products, introduction to a top London modelling agency, hair cuts and colour for a year, a fabulous Spa day, and the opportunity to help raise money for charity.