Havering’s Olympic bid gathers pace
HAVERING business leaders and sporting legends have thrown their support behind a unique campaign to put the borough firmly on the 2012 Olympic map.
Former British Olympic javelin-thrower Fatima Whitbread joined local dignitaries at the launch of Visit Havering this month, a new campaign aimed at making the borough a key Olympic destination.
The campaign – so far backed by Harefield Manor Hotel, the Romford Recorder, McDonalds, Havering Council and Lloyds TSB – hopes to set up Olympic training grounds to the borough.
Paul Harris, of Harefield Manor Hotel, Main Road, Romford, which hosted the event, has now urged other local businesses to get on board.
He said: “This is one event in a lifetime. There’s going to be thousands of people coming over from all over the world.
You may also want to watch:
“We want to promote the borough. We have the facilities, we’ve just got to promote ourselves.”
For details head to: www.visithavering.
- 1 Four people taken to hospital after Romford town centre incident
- 2 East London police officer charged with rape
- 3 Brentwood deaths: Teen charged with double murder to appear in court
- 4 ATMs to be reinstalled in shopping mall in 'more prominent location'
- 5 Upminster chef named best in the country with award
- 6 Mourners to host vigil in Harold Hill park for lost teenage boys
- 7 Mapped: Possession of weapons across east London
- 8 Romford location ‘encapsulates Britain’ in soon to premiere horror movie
- 9 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 10 Brentwood Halloween event cancelled following tragic deaths