Havering Police launched huge search for missing 14-year-old
�As the tragic case of missing five-year-old April Jones hit the headlines, residents closer to home held their breath as it emerged that a 14-year-old Hornchurch schoolgirl had also disappeared.
The girl, last seen wearing her uniform, was reported missing from her school on Monday, October 1, and after an intensive search operation she was located and returned to her family.
Havering Police had been so concerned for her safety that they immediately declared it a “critical incident” and launched a full-scale search.
More than 80 officers, including beat bobbies, Safer Neighbourhoods Teams, the dog squad and flying support, were drafted in.
You may also want to watch:
They also enlisted the help of Met specialist teams, as well as council and transport workers, before alerting the press.
Online, the missing child struck a chord with residents with more than 13,000 searching the Recorder’s website for information.
- 1 Ex-councillor ordered to undo unauthorised green belt building works
- 2 Teenager injured after Hornchurch stabbing
- 3 Harold Hill neighbours still feeling effects of freak flooding
- 4 'I'm terrified': Woman calls on council to move her to new accommodation
- 5 Farnham and Hilldene Estate regeneration plans gather pace
- 6 Romford woman arrested on suspicion of illegal money lending
- 7 Covid-19: Latest figures show almost 31,000 positive cases in Havering
- 8 Kem Cetinay officially opens Array restaurant in Harold Wood
- 9 Complaint over elderly woman facing homelessness among those ombudsman upheld in 2020/21
- 10 Top activities in Romford this summer according to Tripadvisor
Our Tweets for information were repeatedly reTweeted and people left numerous messages of support on our home and Facebook pages for the girl and her family.
Det Ch Insp Phil Rickells said: “This incident was immediately declared a critical incident as we had real concerns for the safety of the missing child.
“A large number of police and other resources were deployed to locate the missing individual
“There were many more enquiries taking place behind the scenes which I cannot disclose or discuss for operational reasons.
“I would like to thank all of those concerned for their assistance and dedication in helping to bring this matter to a positive conclusion.”