Havering Police launched huge search for missing 14-year-old
�As the tragic case of missing five-year-old April Jones hit the headlines, residents closer to home held their breath as it emerged that a 14-year-old Hornchurch schoolgirl had also disappeared.
The girl, last seen wearing her uniform, was reported missing from her school on Monday, October 1, and after an intensive search operation she was located and returned to her family.
Havering Police had been so concerned for her safety that they immediately declared it a “critical incident” and launched a full-scale search.
More than 80 officers, including beat bobbies, Safer Neighbourhoods Teams, the dog squad and flying support, were drafted in.
They also enlisted the help of Met specialist teams, as well as council and transport workers, before alerting the press.
Online, the missing child struck a chord with residents with more than 13,000 searching the Recorder’s website for information.
- 1 Travel disruptions to look out for this week across east London
- 2 Twelve Havering properties sold for more than £1m in October
- 3 East London man charged with six terrorism offences
- 4 Heritage: How Gallows Corner got its sinister name
- 5 How The Apprentice's Thomas Skinner pivoted his business to weather Covid
- 6 Warnings of ice across London amid plummeting temperatures
- 7 Covid survivor, 16, urges people to get jabbed after months in hospital
- 8 Free parking to 'boost Havering's high streets' for Christmas season
- 9 Hanukkah 2021: Five ways to celebrate in east London
- 10 What are the chances of a white Christmas in London?
Our Tweets for information were repeatedly reTweeted and people left numerous messages of support on our home and Facebook pages for the girl and her family.
Det Ch Insp Phil Rickells said: “This incident was immediately declared a critical incident as we had real concerns for the safety of the missing child.
“A large number of police and other resources were deployed to locate the missing individual
“There were many more enquiries taking place behind the scenes which I cannot disclose or discuss for operational reasons.
“I would like to thank all of those concerned for their assistance and dedication in helping to bring this matter to a positive conclusion.”