Havering Council to consider cutting street parking charges
- Credit: Archant
Shopkeepers could see a boost in trade after plans to reduce the cost of on street parking.
Councillors are set to consider cutting on street parking charges and extending the current maximum length of stay at the Cabinet meeting on Wednesday April 17 at Havering Town Hall in Main Road, Romford.
Street parking currently costs 20p for one hour’s stay, £1.40 for up to one-and-a-half hours stay, and £2 for a maximum of two hours stay.
The plans involve making on street charges the same as council car parks outside Romford.
It would mean that drivers would be charged 20p for the first two hours or 50p for three hours.
You may also want to watch:
If approved, residents will see the maximum length of stay when parking on the street extended from two hours to three.
Cllr Barry Tebbutt, cabinet member for StreetCare said: “Businesses have told us that the difficult economic climate is placing a lot of pressure on them.
- 1 Woman dies after car crash near Upminster
- 2 Romford’s M&S staff go viral with Thriller dance TikTok video
- 3 How Romford are you? Test yourself with our quiz
- 4 Family 'sleeps with one ear open' after repeated flooding in heavy rain
- 5 Brentwood attack: CCTV appeal after man repeatedly kicked in head
- 6 Disruptions to watch out for in and around Havering next week
- 7 Still no progress on plans for new health hub at St George's Hospital site
- 8 'I don't feel safe': Mother who uses wheelchair calls for suitable home
- 9 Consultations open on rolling out school streets to 12 new sites
- 10 Fire and highwaymen: The history of Hornchurch's old archway
“Parking is a key factor in encouraging people to shop in the borough and improving trade for businesses - this is why parking charges in Havering are among the lowest in London, and we’re still trying to do more.”
He added: “We want the area to be alive and vibrant; introducing these changes will increase the number of people using the shops and facilities in Havering and help us to achieve this.”