Havering Council offers free swimming to the over 50s
The over 50s can now enjoy free swimming in leisure centres in the borough, thanks to Havering Council.
The offer, from Monday (August 6) to November 1, is part of Activate Havering, to improve health and tackle loneliness in the borough,
Those interested will need to register with the council’s leisure centre operator (SLM) to receive an ‘Everyone Active’ card.
On each visit to one of the council’s leisure centres, the card will be swiped to allow the person to swim for free.
Swimming can increase stamina and works every part of the body - improving muscle tone and overall health.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Andrew Curtin, cabinet member for culture, towns and communities said: “Residents of Havering have told us that they want more opportunities to stay healthy and socialise. When free swimming was first introduced in 2009 it was really popular so we have decided to introduce it again for the over 50’s.
“I really hope that people take up this fantastic opportunity. We are looking into what else we can do to improve health and socialising in the borough for this age group.”
- 1 Reward offered to help find iconic Noak Hill Laurel and Hardy statues
- 2 Two men stabbed after fight reported outside Romford nightclub
- 3 Housing in Havering: Major developments set to come to the borough
- 4 Police investigating 'unexplained' death in Collier Row
- 5 Pooches delight as new dog-friendly playground opens at Collier Row pub
- 6 Plan agreed to tackle persistent flooding in Abbs Cross Lane
- 7 Apology issued after council error sees pupils' fee multiplied by 100
- 8 Gidea Park events planner hopes to host summer community festival
- 9 Polling places review underway ahead of 2022 ward increase
- 10 New Home Bargains store to open in Romford
Sheila Evans, a regular swimmer at Hornchurch sport centre, is excited about the offer.
She said: “I have been glued to the Olympics, particularly the swimming in the aquatics centre, and it is my aim to swim more often at my local pool. The fact that it will be free at certain times will attract many of my friends as well.”
Free swimming sessions will be available during certain off peak periods at Central Park, in Gooshays Drive, Harold Hill, and Hornchurch Sport Centre, in Harrow Lodge Park, Hornchurch Road, for Havering residents.
Proof of address and proof of age at the leisure centre will be required to register.