Havering Council give go ahead for hot food takeaway in Rainham
PUBLISHED: 09:00 05 December 2010
AN APPLICATION for a hot food takeaway that was deferred twice because of a mix up over the drawings of the site was given the go ahead at this week's planning meeting.
At the regulatory services committee meeting on Thursday December 2, the committee agreed for a hot food takaway to be built in Wennington Road, Rainham.
By voting to agree the application, the committee ignored a plea from a resident living above the shop who was against the application because it would affect his quality of life.
Angela Cooper speaking on behalf of resident Mr Sime said: “After a recent visit by planning officers, planning added a condition that the kitchen should be insulated to minimise the transmission of fumes.
“In doing so they have finally admitted that this transfer will be inevitable, despite evidence showing this from the start.
“They have stated that these fumes can only be minimised and not stoped, this is a violation of Mr Sime’s right to peaceful enjoyment.”
Rainham Ward Cllr Jeff Tucker (Independent Local Residents’ Group) also spoke against the application arguing that it would cause noise and disturbance resulting from customers entering and leaving the site, it is an intensification of food outlets in the area, the extractor fan would be extremely harmful to the residents living above and resident safety due to the increasing number of late night revellers visiting the area.
He said: “These premises were built for a resident shopkeeper in the 1930s.
“The property has not been structually changed and is not suitable for a takeaway with a residential flat above.
“The blocking off of adjoining doors, do not meet safety standards, because the ground floor is linked under a suspended wooden floor.
“No consideration has been given to the spread of fire from a commercial kitchen through the lower or upper wooden floor or the fact that the sole exit for the flat is directly past the takawy kitchen, which is the likely source of fire.”
But the applicant defended his decison arguing that the extractor fan can be moved to another location to create less risk to the resident.
The application was originally deffered on August 5 this year to allow the applicant to provide accurate drawings of the ground floor plan because the one that was shown was incorrect.
When it returned to the committee on September 16 this year it was deffered after the council’s legal adviser indicated that an extention of time application can not incorporate changes to the drawings which formed part of the original permission.