Havering Council announces new leisure centre and 300 jobs for Romford
Romford will get a new multi-million pound leisure centre containing two pools, a gym, a dance studio, a sauna and a restaurant, the council announced at its annual meeting on Wednesday (23rd).
And as part of the scheme 300 jobs will be created at a new Morrisons store on Rom Valley Way.
Havering Council and the food chain have agreed a “land-swap” deal. The supermarket, along with 65 houses and a petrol station, will be built on the current site of the Romford Ice Arena – while the ice rink will be transferred into the leisure centre, which will be built on Western Road.
Council leader Michael White said: “This is a landmark deal for Romford that will lead to the creation of a fantastic new leisure centre for the town.
“The land-swap deal that we have negotiated with Morrisons means that this centre will be affordable – with minimal draw on council funds.
You may also want to watch:
“The centre will offer something for everyone, whether you want to skate, swim or go for a cup of tea.”
Morrisons told the council it would employ locally and said the majority of its staff would live within three miles of the store. It will work with the local Job Centre Plus to secure work for people who are long-term unemployed.
- 1 Public detain male in street after alleged bid to rob Rainham shop
- 2 Romford school prepped for another 100 years as major renovation works end
- 3 Hospital's failure to identify neck injury 'contributed' to courier's death, inquest finds
- 4 Trust celebrating Hornchurch history opens new permanent heritage centre
- 5 Woman dies after falling from 'substantial height' in Romford
- 6 Hospitality Hero: 'Biggest prize is appreciation,' says tearoom owner
- 7 Woman who struggled to walk with 'excruciating pain’ to run London Marathon
- 8 Report found Town Hall response to alleged sexual harassment case 'disturbing'
- 9 Hornchurch man to face trial accused of teeth whitening offence
- 10 Havering Hospitality Hero: Hornchurch's Tandoori Lounge racks up awards
Morrisons development exec Richard Haynes said: “Morrisons is delighted to play a part in unlocking this fantastic project, which will not only deliver the new swimming pool, ice rink and leisure facilities for Romford but also create hundreds of new jobs and enhance the town centre’s retail and leisure offer.”