Havering College cake students enjoy sweet smell of success
- Credit: Archant
Students on a new professional cake-decorating course at Havering College have enjoyed a huge slice of success in one of the world‘s leading cake competitions.
Julie Ettridge, Diane Stokes, Debbie Mardell and Dorothy Townsend clinched a range of awards after putting their skills to the test in a student category at Cake International at east London’s ExCel exhibition centre from April 10 to 12.
The cherry on top was a gold award for course tutor Zena Mitchell’s towering wedding cake.
Miss Mitchell, who retired last year from being the Hornchurch college’s head of education and professional studies to focus on her cake-decorating business, said: “It is a great achievement for our students who have progressed so well and polished their skills in the short six-week course.”
Hornchurch resident Debbie Mardell, who started the course with little baking experience, said: “I was a blank canvas so to speak but now I sit here classed as an international award winner.
You may also want to watch:
“My thanks and appreciation go to Zena. Her course has given me inspiration to push myself further.”
Gold winner Julie Ettridge, from Harold Hill, said: “I am very proud of what I have achieved in such a short space of time.”
- 1 West Ham free to build new training facility as council approves plans
- 2 Development coming to Havering: What plans were submitted, approved or rejected in recent months?
- 3 Romford celebrity scandals: Stars who hit headlines for the wrong reasons
- 4 Havering's MPs mourn fatal stabbing of Sir David Amess
- 5 Man charged with attempted bank robbery in Romford to appear in court
- 6 Beam Park station 'can't go ahead without government support', council says
- 7 Women targeted in string of mobile phone thefts at Romford nightclub
- 8 Entry and exit wording on ground by Elm Park car park to be investigated
- 9 Mum fears gaping ceiling left by workers will 'collapse' on children
- 10 Romford's Jesy Nelson denies 'blackfishing' accusations
Diane Stokes, from Collier Row, won a silver award and added: “To say I am elated is an understatement.”
Fellow Collier Row classmate Dorothy Townsend received a certificate of merit.
The next six-week course starts on Saturday, May 10.
For information call 01708 462801 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.