Havering 2010 Business Awards: The winners
A COMPANY which suffered its worst ever loss last year only to undergo a dramatic reversal of fortune this year has scooped the top prize in the Havering 2010 Business Awards at the weekend
Family-run Coborn Engineering, which has designed and made machine tools for more nearly 70 years, was named Havering Business of the Year at a glitzy awards ceremony in the City Pavilion, in Collier Row Road, Collier Row, on Friday evening (October 1).
Chairman John Innocent, whose father set up the company in Hainault, Ilford, in 1941 before moving to Chesham Close, Romford, in the ‘60s, said: “The workforce is phenomenally skilled. Much of our success is down to their strength.”
He added: “The award won’t affect sales but it is very gratifying.”
Coborn Engineering is the second largest business of its kind in Europe, dealing mainly to the Chinese market - where it dominates.
You may also want to watch:
Last year the company suffered badly as the recession bit but this year - through tenacity, hard work and bravery - Coborn Engineering recorded its highest ever turnover.
Mr Innocent, 69, who has steered his business through five recessions, explained: “Last year was our worst ever year and this year our best. Our turnover was down by 45 per-cent. It was exceptionally bad.
- 1 Indian variant of Covid-19 - what's the situation in London?
- 2 Mum-of-two's long-term home 'nightmare' amid housing crisis
- 3 Jailed: Dagenham car burglar after 100mph pursuit in Romford
- 4 Met officers used 'excessive force' during Romford fight
- 5 Deadline looming to comment on Market Place development plans
- 6 Heritage: Is it Romford or Rumford? You decide
- 7 Man and two boys charged with murder of Daniel Laskos in Harold Wood
- 8 Woman 'repulsed and sick' after finding bug in Lidl yoghurt
- 9 Romford student receives Amazon bursary for women studying computer science
- 10 May 17: What can't open when Covid-19 lockdown rules ease?
Each time we went into recession, we have battened down the hatches too much. This time I was determined to be braver. We didn’t lose any men and we had a lot of product on the floor ready to go. The gamble paid off and when we came out of recession we had an enormous amount to sell.”
FOR A FULL RUN-DOWN OF THIS YEAR’S CEREMONY SEE FRIDAY’S RECORDER
Havering Business of the Year Award
Coborn Engineering Co Ltd
Juniper Food Waste
Shining Through Award
Hornchurch Dry Cleaners
Staff Training and Development Award
Sole Trader of the Year Award
New Business of the Year Award
Total Site Construction Ltd
Customer Care Award
Acumen Design Consultancy
Business Person of the Year Award
Paul Harris - Harefield Manor Hotel
By Design (Sealants) Ltd
Excellance in Apprenticeship Training
Thomas Sinden Ltd