Haulage director banned after work records falsified
PUBLISHED: 07:00 13 October 2015 | UPDATED: 14:12 13 October 2015
The director of a haulage firm that was a “very severe risk” to road safety has been banned from the industry for five years.
Mohammed Saadati, of M R Transport Ltd, which operated out of a site in Ferry Lane, Rainham, was found to be complicit in falsifying work records as some employees drove for more than 24 hours at a time.
Traffic commissioner for London and the south east, Nick Denton, found both the operator and drivers “falsified records on a massive scale”.
The tachograph records are designed to ensure drivers take enough breaks, protecting public safety.
Mr Denton said that on several occasions drivers working for M R Transport Ltd had been on the road for more than 24 hours without a rest – far above the legal limit of 15 hours.
He added: “Road safety has been put at very severe risk”.
The commissioner found that Saadati was personally complicit.
Over a three month period, 174 false records were identified, in 12 cases the driver was Saadati himself.
Mr Denton concluded that the company’s way of paying drivers – giving them a percentage of the profit from each delivery – led to abuse of the rules and said that Saadati had encouraged drivers to falsify their charts.
As well as disqualifying Saadati from holding a licence to operate HGVs for five years Mr Denton removed his company’s licence to operate goods vehicles.
He also said it was “truly frightening” to hear from investigators that about 45 per cent of the mileage undertaken by the company’s vehicles was missing from records.
The traffic commissioner said: “Mr Saadati has been personally complicit in the falsification of charts and has falsified them himself.
“He has sought to blame drivers, invent excuses and has shown no recognition that he has done much wrong.”
Mr Denton also disqualified the firm’s former transport manager, Peter Clements, for his negligence in failing to identify the offences and missing records. Mr Clements is disqualified from acting as a transport manager until September 29 2017.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Romford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.