Havering’s Asian society celebrates Diwali in Elm Park
- Credit: Archant
Young and old came together to celebrate Diwali with dancing and a special meal in Elm Park.
The Havering Asian Social and Welfare Association (Haswa) celebrated Diwali at the community centre in Greenfields, Kilmartin Way on Saturday, November 2.
Diwali is a five-day festival of light celebrated by Hindus.
Haswa members, Veena Jain Storm V Academy and DJ Rav-C kept the guests entertained at the event.
Visitors also enjoyed a raffle, bhangra and Bollywood dancing and some delicious Indian cuisine.
You may also want to watch:
Sansar Singh Narwal, the secretary of Haswa, said: "Events such as the Diwali celebration promote better cultural understanding of Havering's rich and diverse community."
Amongst the guests who came to enjoy the festival of lights was the mayor of Havering, councillor Michael Deon Burton, Rainham and Dagenham Labour candidate Jon Cruddas, councillors Stephanie Nunn, Barry Muglestone, Melvin Wallace and Colonel Markham Bryant DL MBE.
- 1 Romford man gains 100,000 signatures to scrap £200m Prince Philip yacht
- 2 Man and two boys charged with murder of Daniel Laskos in Harold Wood
- 3 Deadline looming to comment on Market Place development plans
- 4 Havering electoral wards face axe as borough is split into 20 areas
- 5 Town centre app launches to entice shoppers to Romford
- 6 Why Romford MP is allowed to keep names of donors secret
- 7 Romford Tesco Extra plants trees to offset car emissions
- 8 'No one deserves that': Neighbours 'traumatised' by triple stabbing
- 9 Harold Wood fatal stabbing victim named as police arrest three more people
- 10 May 17: What can't open when Covid-19 lockdown rules ease?