Harold Wood’s Avalon Abseiling lighting up Tower Bridge in time for summer celebrations
�An innovative building firm has been roped into bringing a bit of sparkle to central London for this year’s summer of celebration.
Avalon Abseiling, Church Road, Hornchurch, has been installing thousands of LEDs on Tower Bridge, which could light up gold whenever Team GB take a top medal in the Olympic and Paralympic Games.
The landmark may also glow red, white and blue during the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee celebrations from Saturday, June 2 to Tuesday, June 5. But organisers refused to verify this.
The expert abseilers have spent more than 4,000 hours high above the Thames to help fit 2,000 metres of linear lights, 5,000 metres of cable and 1,000 junction boxes.
The �2m energy-efficient lighting system will remain in place for the next 25 years.
Jon O’Neil, from Avalon, said: “As the lighting system is low energy it is no coincidence that abseilers were given the job to install them – abseiling being the greenest form of working at height. Our abseilers are enjoying the spectacular views from the bridge and are getting used to being photographed alongside one of the capital’s great landmarks.”
- 1 Hornchurch school puts latest outstanding rating down to 'perfect synergy'
- 2 Woman who 'glued neighbour's door shut' ordered to pay over £600
- 3 Wendy's Romford to open tomorrow
- 4 Mayor of Havering admitted to hospital with Covid-19
- 5 Eight-storey housing and retail development proposed for centre of Romford
- 6 Service users overcharged total of £5m by council accounting 'screw up'
- 7 'Devastated' friends need £36k to help mum with bowel cancer
- 8 Developer submits plan to build 28 houses on rural industrial park
- 9 Police: Blaze in flats with flammable cladding was arson attack
- 10 Plans to cut up to 600 Tube station jobs amid TfL 'funding crisis'
Avalon won a top green award last year for turning its back on traditional carbon-producing lorries and scaffolding fitting techniques.
Boris Johnson, the Mayor of London, said: “All hail to these plucky abseilers who are helping install a spectacular new low-energy lighting system for Tower Bridge in time for London’s historic summer. This is a great example of how hosting the Games is delivering benefits for Londoners that will continue for years after the last medal has been given out.”
Avalon is working for FM Conway, which is installing the system for Citelum.