Harold Hill woman celebrates 100th birthday
A GREAT-GRANDMOTHER celebrated her 100th birthday with an East End singalong.
Annie Power, who lives at The Priory in Priory Road, Harold Hill, turned 100 on Sunday (February 13).
The mum-of-two, whose surviving son Ronald lives in Collier Row, marked the day with family and friends at the home. Havering’s deputy mayor, Cllr Melvin Wallace, also attended the celebrations at the weekend.
Mrs Power’s son, 76, said: “The home was excellent. There was a woman who came in and entertained us by singing. We had a nice old East End singalong.
“Mum also got a card from the Queen. Her and my dad were staunch royalists, so she was happy to receive that.”
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Power, who has four grandchildren and two great-grandchildren, was born in Bethnal Green. During the Second World War she was evacuated with her two sons, her mother and her sisters, to near Bury St Edmonds, Suffolk.
After the war the family moved to Stepney, before settling in Harold Hill.
- 1 Deadline looming to comment on Market Place development plans
- 2 Romford man gains 100,000 signatures to scrap £200m Prince Philip yacht
- 3 Man and two boys charged with murder of Daniel Laskos in Harold Wood
- 4 Havering electoral wards face axe as borough is split into 20 areas
- 5 Why Romford MP is allowed to keep names of donors secret
- 6 Town centre app launches to entice shoppers to Romford
- 7 'No one deserves that': Neighbours 'traumatised' by triple stabbing
- 8 Romford Tesco Extra plants trees to offset car emissions
- 9 'I've never felt so excited' - Theatre company saved from collapse
- 10 Harold Wood fatal stabbing victim named as police arrest three more people
When her husband Charlie retired the pair moved to Mildenhall in Suffolk. After he died Mrs Power, who suffers from dementia, moved into a sheltered bungalow before relocating to The Priory to be near her son and daughter-in-law Joan, 76.