Harold Hill pharmacy delivery driver saves elderly man who passed out from gas fumes
PUBLISHED: 07:00 19 May 2017 | UPDATED: 09:47 19 May 2017
A pharmacy delivery driver saved an elderly man’s life after he passed out because of gas fumes.
Roger Rose, 85, had been lying in his gas-filled home in Sunset Drive, Harold Hill, for three hours when Laura Bell turned up to deliver medication of behalf of Day Lewis Pharmacy.
Laura, 36, of Straight Road, Harold Hill, said: “I kept knocking on his window and could see that he was asleep.
“He wouldn’t wake up so I really banged on the window.
“He took a while to open the door. He looked dizzy and when he opened it I could smell gas.”
Roger said: “If she hadn’t turned up and seen me like that, that would’ve been my lot. I was very lucky.”
Roger had been working on his model aeroplanes and was using a type of glue that shrinks when heat is applied to it.
He had been using the flame on his gas cooker to heat the glue.
“I thought I would sit down for five minutes,” he said.
“I walked past the stove and the breeze blew the gas out. I sat in the living room having a break and started falling asleep.
“I thought God I’m tired.
“The next think I was being woken up by bashing on my window.
“I walked through [to the door] and felt dizzy. I felt really terrible.”
Laura immediately knew something was very wrong and ran into the house to turn the gas off and made Roger go outside where luckily paramedics were nearby.
“His fingers were going blue,” continued Laura.
“He was confused. The paramedics thought he was drunk.”
But the quick-thinking delivery driver explained the situation and the pensioner was whisked off to hospital.
He spent that evening, May 4, at Queen’s Hospital, Rom Valley Way, Romford, where he underwent tests.
“She saved my life,” Roger continued.
The next day, he bought a bunch of flowers to say thanks to Laura and visited her at work to surprise her.
Thusanth Thayaparan, manager of the pharmacy in Gooshayes Drive, Harold Hill, said: “I think Laura is amazing.”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Romford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.