Harold Hill optician Jon Sames gets top optical award
A prestigious optical award was won by a Harold Hill practitioner earlier this month.
Jon Sames, 51, was named Dispensing Optician of the Year at the Association of Optometrists (AOP) Awards held at the Hilton Metropole in Birmingham on October 18.
Mr Sames beat two others nominated in the category to win the title and he was presented with a cut-glass trophy at the ceremony.
“I was a bit gobsmacked when I was told I had been nominated for the award,” he said.
“When I actually won it I was so surprised I didn’t even have my jacket done up to go and collect the trophy. I was in complete shock.”
You may also want to watch:
More than 11,000 votes were cast over the 16 different categories.
Members of the AOP, which represents 10,000 opticians and optometrists across the UK, made the majority of votes.
- 1 Man 'wraps metal chain around woman's neck' in Hornchurch park attack
- 2 West Ham free to build new training facility as council approves plans
- 3 Development coming to Havering: What plans were submitted, approved or rejected in recent months?
- 4 Romford celebrity scandals: Stars who hit headlines for the wrong reasons
- 5 Man charged with attempted bank robbery in Romford to appear in court
- 6 Havering's MPs mourn fatal stabbing of Sir David Amess
- 7 'Accident waiting to happen': Neighbours on 'traffic carnage' around school
- 8 Beam Park station 'can't go ahead without government support', council says
- 9 Havering parks retain Green Flag awards
- 10 87-room care home on Ardleigh Green college site granted permission
“The standard of nominations across all categories was excellent,” said AOP chairman, David Shannon.
“It was no easy task for the judges to pick the shortlist. Mr Sames has made an excellent contribution to quality eye care.”
His practice, Jon Sames Opticians, is in Hilldene Avenue,
“The work I do can be very rewarding. You do get a sense you’re helping people,” said Mr Sames.
“In the future, I just want to concentrate on what I do and hope I can get even better at it.”