Harold Hill optician Jon Sames gets top optical award
A prestigious optical award was won by a Harold Hill practitioner earlier this month.
Jon Sames, 51, was named Dispensing Optician of the Year at the Association of Optometrists (AOP) Awards held at the Hilton Metropole in Birmingham on October 18.
Mr Sames beat two others nominated in the category to win the title and he was presented with a cut-glass trophy at the ceremony.
“I was a bit gobsmacked when I was told I had been nominated for the award,” he said.
“When I actually won it I was so surprised I didn’t even have my jacket done up to go and collect the trophy. I was in complete shock.”
You may also want to watch:
More than 11,000 votes were cast over the 16 different categories.
Members of the AOP, which represents 10,000 opticians and optometrists across the UK, made the majority of votes.
- 1 'He was petrified': Rainham mother calls for more action on bullying
- 2 Pooches delight as new dog-friendly playground opens at Collier Row pub
- 3 'Lovely service': Initial impressions of Kem Cetinay's restaurant Array
- 4 Reward offered to help find iconic Noak Hill Laurel and Hardy statues
- 5 Housing in Havering: Major developments set to come to the borough
- 6 Police investigating 'unexplained' death in Collier Row
- 7 Two men stabbed after fight reported outside Romford nightclub
- 8 Harold Wood walkers ‘frustrated’ as ‘beyond repair’ bridge is closed
- 9 Plan agreed to tackle persistent flooding in Abbs Cross Lane
- 10 A look back at floods which have devastated east London since 2016
“The standard of nominations across all categories was excellent,” said AOP chairman, David Shannon.
“It was no easy task for the judges to pick the shortlist. Mr Sames has made an excellent contribution to quality eye care.”
His practice, Jon Sames Opticians, is in Hilldene Avenue,
“The work I do can be very rewarding. You do get a sense you’re helping people,” said Mr Sames.
“In the future, I just want to concentrate on what I do and hope I can get even better at it.”