Hammer Sears off to Scunthorpe
West Ham youngster Freddie Sears has gone out on loan
WEST HAM striker Freddie Sears has been shipped out to Scunthorpe United on a month’s loan.
The 20-year-old Romford-born Hammer has started just one game this season and is seen as well down the pecking order at Upton Park, so manager Avram Grant has taken the opportunity of giving him some playing time at Glanford Park.
Sears, who burst on the scene back in 2008 when he scored the winner against Blackburn on his debut, has now made 33 appearances in claret and blue.
Just six of those have been starts however, and he is yet to add to that dream debut goal.
You may also want to watch:
His lack of goals have followed him in his previous loan spells, though more down to bad luck than poor play.
At Crystal Palace last season he actually hit the net, but the ball bounced out and the referee failed to spot that it had gone in.
- 1 Watch police fine seven in Romford for watching TV together
- 2 British Gas engineers burn contracts at Havering Town Hall in defiance of 'sign or be fired'
- 3 Mick Norcross, The Only Way Is Essex star, has died aged 57
- 4 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 5 Covid deaths increase at Queen's and King George hospitals this week
- 6 Letters: Breaking bad news, boundary changes, lockdown and parking
- 7 From the town hall: The fight against Covid-19 continues in Havering
- 8 Queen's and King George hospitals appeal for volunteers to support end of life patients
- 9 Heritage: How greyhound enthusiast's 1960s betting coup failed
- 10 Council report reveals concern that borough's Covid vaccination drive may be held back
He failed to score for Coventry City on loan last term either, but he has been in impressive form both in pre-season and for the reserves so far this season.
He joined up with Ian Baraclough’s team yesterday (Tuesday) and could even have featured in their clash at Preston last night.
He is not the first Hammer to make the move to Scunthorpe United.
Jordan Spence and former Hammer Bondz N’Gala have both spent loan spells at the Championship outfit.
Sears joins fellow Hammers Matty Fry and Frank Nouble out on loan who are at Charlton Athletic and Swansea City respectively.