Hammer Sears off to Scunthorpe
West Ham youngster Freddie Sears has gone out on loan
WEST HAM striker Freddie Sears has been shipped out to Scunthorpe United on a month’s loan.
The 20-year-old Romford-born Hammer has started just one game this season and is seen as well down the pecking order at Upton Park, so manager Avram Grant has taken the opportunity of giving him some playing time at Glanford Park.
Sears, who burst on the scene back in 2008 when he scored the winner against Blackburn on his debut, has now made 33 appearances in claret and blue.
Just six of those have been starts however, and he is yet to add to that dream debut goal.
His lack of goals have followed him in his previous loan spells, though more down to bad luck than poor play.
At Crystal Palace last season he actually hit the net, but the ball bounced out and the referee failed to spot that it had gone in.
- 1 Daughter pulls father out of care home after 'fall leaves him bedbound'
- 2 New three-storey building with flats looking to be built behind disused Rainham pub
- 3 The Hop Inn: Hornchurch pub named best in London for second year running
- 4 Court: Romford mum died from Covid-19 after Queen's Hospital failings, inquest hears
- 5 Man stabbed in Harold Hill
- 6 'Really proud’: Hornchurch mother tackles English Channel in relay swim for charity
- 7 London Assembly: TfL urged to rethink plans to cut 78 bus routes
- 8 Romford mother lived in squalor after mental health 'failings', court hears
- 9 Havering A Level results 2022: Live updates for borough's schools
- 10 London Fire Brigade Cadets on-hand to help Wennington residents trim hedges and clear up their gardens
He failed to score for Coventry City on loan last term either, but he has been in impressive form both in pre-season and for the reserves so far this season.
He joined up with Ian Baraclough’s team yesterday (Tuesday) and could even have featured in their clash at Preston last night.
He is not the first Hammer to make the move to Scunthorpe United.
Jordan Spence and former Hammer Bondz N’Gala have both spent loan spells at the Championship outfit.
Sears joins fellow Hammers Matty Fry and Frank Nouble out on loan who are at Charlton Athletic and Swansea City respectively.