Gunman is jailed over travellers’ site shooting in Noak Hill
A man has been jailed for a total of 14 years for shooting and seriously injuring a man at a travellers’ site.
Shane Stanley, 29 was sentenced at Basildon Crown Court for the gun attack in Noak Hill, near Romford which happened on September 22 last year.
Stanley was given ten years for wounding with intent to do grievous bodily harm, three years for possession of a firearm with intent to cause fear of violence, and was also handed a year in prison for dangerous driving.
All the sentences are due to run consecutively.
You may also want to watch:
Stanley fled the scene of the travellers’ site with his family after a 34-year-old man was left with life-changing injuries after the shooting.
On March 19, Stanley was arrested when he was spotted in a Subaru Imprezza car with another man acting suspiciously on the A12 by a plain clothed police officer as he was on his way to work.
- 1 How did your Havering GP surgery score in NHS patient survey?
- 2 10-storey block expansion of 700-home development in Rainham gets go-ahead
- 3 Free swimming for schoolchildren in Havering launched ahead of Olympics
- 4 Case for release of Gallows Corner upgrade funds is in pipeline, TfL says
- 5 Thunderstorms and possible flooding forecast for east London
- 6 Four-car crash in Havering-atte-Bower reignites calls for 20mph speed limit
- 7 New Home Bargains store to open in Romford
- 8 120-home development on Harold Hill college site approved
- 9 Romford drama students to feature alongside celebrities in new WW2 film
- 10 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend
The officer alerted his colleagues which resulted in a police chase that ended in a crash near the Brewery in Romford.
Stanley was taken to hospital for injuries to his leg and when he was released he was identified as the person wanted for the shooting.
Speaking after the sentence on Friday last week, investigating officer Det Con Colin Buckmaster, from the Met Police’s Trident team, which deals with inter-ethnic gun crime, said: “The sentence reflects just how serious this offence is.
“I want to pay tribute to the bravery of the witnesses and victim who helped the police investigation.
He added: “When he was originally arrested he gave a false name, it was only when he came into the police station after the hospital, that he was identified as the person we wanted.
“It is an excellent bit of policing by an officer, who was on duty, but was on his way to work.”
Stanley was charged on March 22 with attempted murder, but he subsequently offered guilty pleas to the charges he was sentenced for.