Guides pick up award for helping brownies
- Credit: Archant
Linda Taylor from Girlguiding Gidea Park writes about the girls’ recent activities
Water seems to be the theme for the summer as we try to cool down in the hot weather!
The 1st Gidea Park Brownies have been on Pack Holiday to Thriftwood Scout site in Brentwood. All of the girls in the group were able to attend. They enjoyed activities which included the Cresta Run, the 3D maze, a campfire and a water fight.
The girls helped prepare meals and keep the house tidy. They enjoyed themselves so much they’ve booked for next year!
The 2nd Rainbows visited a local café and learnt how to make smoothies as part of their Healthy Living challenge.
You may also want to watch:
Congratulations to Caitlin and Harriet of the 5th Gidea Park Guides on gaining their Jack Petchey Achievement Award for their work over the past two years with the 5th Brownies.
They were presented with their medallions by Cllr Philippa Crowder, Deputy Mayor of Havering, at an awards ceremony at the Queens Theatre.
- 1 Havering households to be asked to participate in census
- 2 Police appeal after second fatal Rainham collision in less than a week
- 3 Council report reveals concern that borough's Covid vaccination drive may be held back
- 4 Deputy head: School's teachers have gone 'above and beyond' during Covid pandemic
- 5 Christmas Day babies to spend their first few weeks in lockdown
- 6 DAB radios donated to Queen's Hospital for those too weak to hold a phone
- 7 Man killed in collision on A13 near Rainham
- 8 Illegal car meet in Rainham sees 49 fined for Covid breaches
- 9 Havering parks and gardens five feet under water as rivers burst their banks
- 10 Infection rates are now falling in Havering - is lockdown working?
The 5th Brownies went on a chip walk where they had a quiz to complete before they got their chips! A Wet and Wild evening saw them soaked as they took part in water based activities and games.
They had a Mothers and Daughters evening where they invited mums to join them in a race to eat jelly with chopsticks, transfer Maltesers with straws and cut up chocolate bars dressed in woolly hats, scarves and gloves. A few more water balloons completed the fun and every-one got wet feet!
The 5th Guides had a visit to Harry Potter World. They had a fun evening of water zorbing and pedal go-karts at Chigwell Row Activity centre. They have invited the older Brownies to join them for an evening of crazy sports as an introduction to moving up to guides.
We sadly say goodbye to Kelly and Heather, leaders with 2ndA Brownies as a new job and a new baby mean that they won’t be able to run the group any more. We thank them for everything they’ve done with the brownies over the years and wish them both well with their new ventures.
Fortunately we have one new leader, Fiona, to take over but we desperately need more help as she can’t run it on her own.
If you would like to know more, or are interested in helping out then please contact me on 01708 471271 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.