Romford fall short despite strong effort at Grays
- Credit: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo
Velocity Trophy: Grays Athletic 3 Romford 2
Romford suffered a narrow 3-2 defeat to league rivals Grays Athletic in the Velocity Trophy group stages.
Goals from Mitchel Hahn, Manny Ogunrinde, and Warren Kayembe sealed the victory for Jim Cooper's men despite a strong effort from Boro whose goals came from Malaki Toussaint and Keiron Owusu at Parkside Stadium.
Former Redbridge midfielder Toussaint opened the scoring for the visitors in the 21st minute but Hahn hit back for Grays on the stroke of half-time to make it 1-1 heading into the break.
Three minutes into the second-half, Ogunrinde gave Grays a 2-1 lead to put them in control of the contest.
You may also want to watch:
Keiron Owusu levelled the score in the 81st minute to give Boro a strong chance of nabbing a draw but it wasn't meant to be as Warren Kayembe struck in the 89th minute to seal the win for the hosts.
Grays Athletic: Sambridge, Adebiyi (Kayembe 67), Martin, McQueen (Joynes 60), Clark, Muguo, Ogunrinde (Carlos 83), Hahn, Callendar, Purcell, Pindy (W.Kayembe 70).
- 1 Deadline looming to comment on Market Place development plans
- 2 Man and two boys charged with murder of Daniel Laskos in Harold Wood
- 3 Serial child sex offender jailed after found with 14,000 indecent images
- 4 Romford man gains 100,000 signatures to scrap £200m Prince Philip yacht
- 5 Heritage: Is it Romford or Rumford? You decide
- 6 Why Romford MP is allowed to keep names of donors secret
- 7 Havering electoral wards face axe as borough is split into 20 areas
- 8 'No one deserves that': Neighbours 'traumatised' by triple stabbing
- 9 'I've never felt so excited' - Theatre company saved from collapse
- 10 Arrests made after multiple stabbing in Havering
Romford: Riddell, Palmer (Owusu 71), Sumithran, Agboola (Cossington 62), Nesbitt, Thandi, Toussaint, Little, Babalola, Ogun, Kessell.
Unused subs: Cox, McLeavy, Barlow.