Grant: ‘Ask Capello why Hammer Parker is not in England squad’
West Ham boss Avram Grant believes that Scott Parker is playing better than every other England midfielder at the moment
SATURDAY’S performance at Molineux was not a vintage one from West Ham midfielder Scott Parker, but it was still head and shoulders above most of his rival England players.
The same can be said for most of this season, and yet, when Fabio Capello’s England squad was picked for the clash against Montenegro, Parker’s name was not in it.
Drafted in as cover for the injured Gareth Barry in the build- up to the World Cup, it seemed to be the 30-year-old’s big chance to show what he could do on the international stage.
But after two friendlies when he did not even get on the pitch, Parker was sent home and now the back-to-back Hammer of the Year is not even in the Italian’s squad.
You may also want to watch:
Jack Wilshere was in it; the ineffective Barry was still in it; and even Tom Huddlestone was in it, but there was no place for Parker, who over the last year has been in the form of his life.
It is something that West Ham boss Avram Grant has difficulty fathoming out.
- 1 Deadline looming to comment on Market Place development plans
- 2 Romford man gains 100,000 signatures to scrap £200m Prince Philip yacht
- 3 Man and two boys charged with murder of Daniel Laskos in Harold Wood
- 4 Havering electoral wards face axe as borough is split into 20 areas
- 5 Why Romford MP is allowed to keep names of donors secret
- 6 Town centre app launches to entice shoppers to Romford
- 7 'No one deserves that': Neighbours 'traumatised' by triple stabbing
- 8 Romford Tesco Extra plants trees to offset car emissions
- 9 'I've never felt so excited' - Theatre company saved from collapse
- 10 Harold Wood fatal stabbing victim named as police arrest three more people
“I think that if you look at the English midfielders, there are no better players than Scott Parker,” said Grant after Saturday’s 1-1 draw with Wolves.
“From the start of the season, there is no doubt that he is the best English midfielder.
“You will need to talk to Fabio Capello to find out why he is not in the England squad.”
Some people have suggested that it is his age, though the inclusion of 33-year-old Kevin Davies puts paid to that. What about his lack of goals? Well, he has three already this term.
England next play France in a friendly on November 17, so will Parker be in the squad?
“I am not the England manager but Scott deserves to be there,” insisted Grant.
“He is good offensively and defensively and does well with the ball. He has the best record for blocking shots. He’s very clever and he’s professional. Scott’s a good guy and very positive.”
Now what would England want with a player like that?