GPs to be available for extended hours in Havering thanks to government grant
- Credit: Archant
GPs will be available in longer hours for urgent appointments in Havering thanks to £5.6million government funding.
The money is being put towards the extended hours, reducing waiting times, new ways of contacting surgeries and giving people with complex health problems a dedicated team including a GP, practice nurse and consultant to improve care.
Clinical Commissioning Groups (CCGs) in Havering, Redbridge and Barking and Dagenham are sharing the grant from the Prime Minister’s Challenge Fund.
The bid was supported by MPs and councillors who signed letters of support to Number 10.
It is hoped that improved access to GP appointments will ease the pressure on A&E.
You may also want to watch:
Dr Jagan John, who submitted the application, said he was “delighted”.
He added: “It will help us to improve care and better meet the needs of our patients, rather than simply doing things as we always have.
- 1 Firefighters fight car alight in Romford
- 2 Thunderstorms, heavy rain forecast as Met Office issues yellow warnings
- 3 From 100 steps to 10,000: Romford woman tackles serious health issues by losing third of body weight
- 4 Delta variant accounts for majority of Covid cases in much of east London
- 5 BID installs wall of evergreen plants to ‘welcome people’ to Romford
- 6 Romford neighbours' outrage over ‘bonkers’ £20,000 council bill
- 7 Love Island star Kem Cetinay says Romford's Array to open 'in three weeks'
- 8 London Stadium to host mass Covid-19 jabs event for north east Londoners
- 9 'We had no idea how big he was': 11lb 4oz baby born at Romford hospital
- 10 'Stay strong': West Ham footballers send messages to fan with cancer
“Local health services are under real pressure, as everybody knows, and GPs are determined to do our bit to help improve care for patients across our area.
“GPs know their successful bid is just the start. Now we have to put our exciting plans into practice and make a difference for our patients.”