Gidea Park mum ‘gutted’ by family dog put down by police

PUBLISHED: 12:00 16 October 2015




A mum has told her three young children that their “lovely” dog went away to a farm after she found out the family pet had been destroyed by police two months ago.

Shanice Murphy, 23, of Ferguson Avenue, Gidea Park, was heartbroken when she received a phone call from her solicitors on Tuesday informing her that her six-year-old Staffordshire bull terrier Morgz was destroyed on August 19 because she had not been claimed.

A police spokeswoman told the Recorder that an email from the Met’s Status Dog Unit was sent on July 27, informing her that she needed to get in touch within 14 days.

She said: “As the unit was unable to make contact with the owner despite a number of attempts, the dog was considered to be abandoned and the kennels where the dog was being held was instructed to put the dog to sleep.”

But Shanice says she received no messages from the police about Morgz. She said: “I did claim her – several times. I spoke to the dog warden and I went to the police station to get her back so it’s not like I just left her.

“She wasn’t a dangerous dog, she didn’t hurt anyone, and she didn’t do anything wrong.”

Morgz – who was given to Shanice by her partner when she was 17 – was handed to Havering’s dog warden by a neighbour who found her wandering the streets after she was accidentally let out.

Shanice was told the dog had been given to the police as she was “of type” with a pitbull, but when she went to claim her beloved pet that same day, Morgz had already been sent to a kennel in London for testing.

She said: “I didn’t have a clue what was going on but I thought they wouldn’t destroy her so at least she was safe.”

As the weeks went by, Shanice became more concerned for Morgz so got in touch with a solicitor who found out she had already been destroyed.

She said: “I couldn’t stop sobbing.

“I’ve had her my entire adult family life and for her to be destroyed so unnecessarily is horrible.

“My children are very young so I hope they will forget that we ever had Morgz so they won’t miss her.

“I really don’t want this to happen to anyone else.”

A police spokeswoman continued: “The dog had been held in police authorised kennels for 53 days in addition to the time spent in local authority kennels prior to being destroyed.”

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Romford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Romford Recorder