Fun and games for sick children in Romford hospital
SICK youngsters in Queen’s Hospital were given their own legacy of laughter thanks to a charity - and a brave toddler called Jennifer.
Clowns in the Sky is dedicated to helping children with cancer - raising funds for research and providing games and entertainment.
The charity handed Tropical Lagoon Ward - the children’s oncology department at the hospital, in Rom Valley Way, Romford - an ‘activity trolley’, brimming with games and fun things to do, last Wednesday (November 3).
Donna Byrne, fundraising and development officer for Clowns, said: “The inspiration behind the charity is a little girl called Jennifer, who despite battling with a serious brain tumour found a sense of fun in each day of her treatment. One day after treatment she looked out of the car window and said, ‘look Mummy there are clowns in the sky!’
“It’s this sense of fun that has now been captured and is being actively promoted in children’s oncology wards throughout the UK.”
You may also want to watch:
Tragically, after a nine month battle with an aggressive grade four tumour, Jennifer died aged just three.
The trolleys are funded by the National Lottery, through the Big Lottery Fund.
- 1 Demolition 'will now begin' to make way for 120 homes at former campus
- 2 Woman dies after falling from 'substantial height' in Romford
- 3 Hornchurch man to face trial accused of teeth whitening offence
- 4 Rainham flat ravaged by late night blaze
- 5 Signals at Hornchurch 'crash hotspot' now under review
- 6 Covid-19: How has Havering fared over the last four weeks?
- 7 Trust celebrating Hornchurch history opens new permanent heritage centre
- 8 Campaigners ‘overjoyed’ and developer to 'consider its next steps' following Gallows Corner Tesco refusal
- 9 Romford church to offer new debt support scheme
- 10 Application to install 5G mast in Cranham refused
Donna added: “A big thank you to our volunteers and supporters, particularly at this moment in time to the Brentwood a Becket Rotary Club and Tracy Weatherley of Harold Wood.”
Clowns in the Sky is hoping to expand their work in Queen’s.
To help or donate, contact Donna by email on: firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone on: 01708 756169
For further information visit: www.clownsinthesky.org