Former Shenfield man completes an Abu Dhabi run to raise £1,000 for hospice
- Credit: Archant
A St Francis Hospice supporter joined the Abu Dhabi run to raise £1,000.
John Myers, from Shenfield, recently moved to Abu Dhabi with his wife, and took part in the Adnic Yas 10km run around the Formula One circuit.
He wanted to fundraise after the hospice cared for his mum Patricia, from Brentwood, before she died in August 2011.
He said: “It was a great event which I really enjoyed taking part in and with the added bonus of raising money for a great cause.
“The atmosphere was fantastic and although the temperature was 29 degrees on the track I was determined to complete the run in the quickest time I could manage. I was very pleased to have done it in 55 minutes.
You may also want to watch:
He added: “I wanted to give something back to St Francis Hospice because the care and support the staff showed to us as a family was invaluable and we could not have got through the toughest time of our lives without it.
“With the support of the hospice nurses we were able to care for Mum at home, which was a great comfort and it is what she wanted.”
- 1 Teen hospitalised after being stabbed in Upminster
- 2 Woman dies after falling from 'substantial height' in Romford
- 3 Romford school prepped for another 100 years as major renovation works end
- 4 Public detain male in street after alleged bid to rob Rainham shop
- 5 Broken bus stop in Upminster to be repaired within 'few weeks'
- 6 Royal Mail apologises for Covid-related delays as pensioner reports no deliveries 'for weeks'
- 7 Hospital's failure to identify neck injury 'contributed' to courier's death, inquest finds
- 8 Woman who struggled to walk with 'excruciating pain’ to run London Marathon
- 9 Hospitality Hero: 'Biggest prize is appreciation,' says tearoom owner
- 10 Hornchurch Covid woodland memorial gets residents' backing, survey says