Former Romford Football Club player celebrates 80th birthday with ex-team mates and supporters
- Credit: Ronnie May/Terry Felton
A former Romford football player is celebrating his 80th birthday today and was delighted to have an early celebration with ex-team mates and supporters of the club.
Barry Cappi, of Collier Row, was surprised to see a few familiar faces from Romford Football Club at the Teapot Cafe, Romford Shopping Hall, last week, to help mark the special occasion, along with a few presents and a cake.
Barry was a popular member among the team and in 1959, he was one of the first to be offered a professional contract.
He earned his place in the first team and finished the season as top scorer, his goals helping Romford gain promotion to the Southern League Premier Division at the first attempt.
Friend Terry Felton said: “We didn’t think he was going to turn up for a while because he was half an hour late!
You may also want to watch:
“But he loved it and got a bit emotional at the end.
“He is Romford Football Club through and through.”
- 1 Teen hospitalised after being stabbed in Upminster
- 2 Public detain male in street after alleged bid to rob Rainham shop
- 3 Hospital's failure to identify neck injury 'contributed' to courier's death, inquest finds
- 4 Romford school prepped for another 100 years as major renovation works end
- 5 Woman dies after falling from 'substantial height' in Romford
- 6 Trust celebrating Hornchurch history opens new permanent heritage centre
- 7 Woman who struggled to walk with 'excruciating pain’ to run London Marathon
- 8 Hospitality Hero: 'Biggest prize is appreciation,' says tearoom owner
- 9 Report found Town Hall response to alleged sexual harassment case 'disturbing'
- 10 Broken bus stop in Upminster to be repaired within 'few weeks'
Happy birthday Barry!